Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little Trivia of the American Lexicon. Words used today have archaic origins. Who can tell me the profession to which these or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little Trivia of the American Lexicon. Words used today have archaic origins. Who can tell me the profession to which these or

A little Trivia of the American Lexicon. Words used today have archaic origins. Who can tell me the profession to which these originally belonged. To upset, To beat to the punch, To draw out, Hardy or Pritchel, Scarf, Cold shunt and to strike while the iron is hot. The last is a give away.

I'll guess blacksmithing on that last one.

Comment

Correct 99; all are from the Smithy Trade that has bleed into everyday culture.

Comment

Carl - How does a blacksmith "beat to the punch?"

Comment

If you had a piece of iron that needed a hole it was heated. It was placed over the Pritchel [the round hole in an anvil, the hardy hole was square and held tools] a punch was beat through on one side then the other. Ergo beating to the punch.

Comment

PS, To upset means to first bend a piece of iron. Then beat it back to a square making the corner stronger. Cold Shunt is to quench in water, brine, oil or liquid salt.
            PPS My Dad and Uncle grew up in more primitive times. I saw them weld on a forge and tell temp by the color of steel. Common Borax is the flux of choice for welding.

Comment

It's just amazing the things we learn on this site.

Comment

Sorry 99 but I was pressed. a scarf is to pieces tapered than welded to the original thickness. To make a round hole it is a punch a square hole is a drift [but I might be wrong]. Memory fails.

Comment

99; Being able to weld using a MIG welder is relatively easy. Stick and TIG welding demands a little more eye hand coordination. But depending on your circumstance you can save a lot of money on simple repairs. I have fixed bikes, tools, exercises machines, auto repair. If you ever needed a 1/2 by 36 inch drill. Welding a rod to a standard drill saves you about 35 bucks. The same with Hilti or Air tools. On my profile I have re purposed propane tanks, knives, machetes,guns. Think of it as really strong glue. As far as MIG welding goes if you reverse the polarity you can weld aluminum. Very handy if you own a boat. The list goes on.
                  Anyway best regards Carl;

Comment

Where I work (Water dept.), we used to have a Blacksmith because of so many oddball tools (not to us) that we need for the job. I never worked with the smithy, but I used and hoarded many of the tools he made.

Comment

ITHACASXS; Samething with the Phone company. Back in the day he would shoe horses. Then he went on to forge chisels, manhole hooks and maintain digging equipment. But that title is long time empty.

Comment

My grandfather on my mother's side was a blacksmith from Germany who stole away on a ship to the states back in the late 1800's. He made his living at the trade all his life and I still use some of the tools he made. Then on my fathers side of the family, starting at an early age, my father learned and did all the smith work for his father's farm. So the trade was sorta passed down to me. All I do with a forge currently is hammer lawn mower and bush hog blades to sharpen, but I learned to weld in a forge with twenty mule team borax and SAND for flux over fifty years ago. It is a shame more young people do not get to learn the old trades.

Comment

Yes it is Carl, our guy did the same (except for the horses) and we have had a heck of a time trying to find good caulking tools (we still pour lead joints when we have too and we caulk a lot of existing ones). Our Super did find a small Machine Shop in Buffalo,we gave him some old stuff and he did a fair job copying them but we may lose him too. Santa, I can't get started on some of these young pups coming up now. Good post.

Comment

ITHACASX; The Little guy on the right was just up in Rochester for Christening for his cousin. As you can see he enjoyed the snow.

Comment

I'm glad he had fun, my little guy loves it too. That snow is gone right now, but she'll be back.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad