Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When your working on a gun and need a screwdriver or other hand tools do you head for the tools in the garage? Or go to a design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When your working on a gun and need a screwdriver or other hand tools do you head for the tools in the garage? Or go to a design

When your working on a gun and need a screwdriver or other hand tools do you head for the tools in the garage? Or go to a designated set of smiths tools? If the later, what do you recommend? I'm interested in a set of hand tools that won't strip the screw heads or my wallet? Pin punches? Torque wrenches etc?? Thank you Sirs, and that's a little heavy on the Sirs.

Firearms-dedicated tools tend to accumulate over time and, I must admit, I've had time. Chapman screwdrivers are good choices, as are Grace Tools, and there are some task-specific tools for Mausers, Springfields, Garands, etc. I have a plastic box with .45 Auto parts, and there are a few tools I've used only once for a particular model of firearm. One item at a time, but over time it's quite a collection. I know my wife and son will have no idea what these things are for, and they'll end up on e-Bay or in some garage sale (where I've gotten a few of them). Sometimes you may have to grind a screwdriver tip for a task. If your memory is better than mine, you'll remember what it's for but you do well to label or tag it. Have fun with it, enjoy the process of accumulating these tools but the price of some of them will only be justified if you will use it repeatedly.

Comment

www.Brownell's.com is a good source for tools. Individual driver bits or sets.

Comment

I have learned painfully and expensively, I AM NOT A GUNSMITH no matter how much I wish I was (I am also not much of a carpenter, auto mechanic, plumber or electrician either but I can get by on those it isn’t too complex).

If it is beyond cleaning, adding a scope or putting lock tight on a screw, I give it to a professional. Buy quality firearms and maintain them. If they need serious work, give them to someone you trust.

3 gunsmith rules that took forever for me to learn: IF IT AIN’T BROKE, DON’T FIX IT.IF A FIREARM REFUSES TO PERFORM, SELL IT AND GET ONE THAT DOES. USED DOES NOT MEAN NOT AS GOOD AS NEW.

Comment

Ed and jhjimbo have covered what I was going to write . You cannot go wrong with sitting down with Brownell's catalog and a check list. Most of us like Ed, just collect over time.... On impulse, I picked up some dentists tools which I find useful.

Comment

I've also picked up tools over time. I have ground regular screw drivers tips to be finer or not as wide as they once were so they fit gun screws better. I use regular tiny sockets and steel punches since I seldom use them and Forrester drill bits for more precise wood drilling. I have barrel channel cutters and wood chisels for stock work. I think I have gotten most use out of an inexpensive set of scope levels (search on ebay for "crossbow scope mounting level kit"), a good set of SAE and Metric hex wrenches and a few star tipped screw drivers from local hardware stores.

On my Christmas list is a torque driver good up to about 50 inch pounds.

Comment

Everyone is spot on with Brownell's and gun specific tools. Craftsman makes great tools for the car,just keep them away from the guns. Also try Midway USA, they have a great selection of gun tools. I don't do any real gun smith work, but I like to to a deep clean on all my guns at the end of the season.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've also got some hand tools on my wish list. There seems to be a pretty general consensus from you all that a separate set of gun tools is important and I keep hesitating to work on or dis and reassemble some of them because of a lack of appropriate tools. Thanks for the responses, and if any of you all would like to add to the list it would be appreciated.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad