Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was the first centerfire ammo caliber invented? not counting revolver. i'm talking rifles. i have it narrowed down to the .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Fagan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim in Mo View Post
    Reid, you didn't identify black powder or smokeless. 30-30 is first for smokeless. For black powder, that may be a bigger argument than 'what is the best caliber for deer'.
    opps guess I posted wrong oh well....

Leave a comment:

• David Fagan
    replied
    Reid, you didn't identify black powder or smokeless. 30-30 is first for smokeless. For black powder, that may be a bigger argument than 'what is the best caliber for deer'.
    opps guess I posted wrong oh well....

Leave a comment:

• David Fagan
    replied
    I don't see an answer here and 1857 for Rimfire is really not correct.
    Priming compound in a thin case was patented in 1831 with thoughts for use in a airgun but this evolved into 22 cb cap by Flobert in 1845 which turned into 22 Short by Smith & Wesson in 1857.

Now the question still remains unanswered so.
    The centerfire (in a form we would recognize) was actually created in 1861 by a guy named Clement Pottet in Paris.

I can't answer who was the first manufacture in the US to make a firearm using one. Someone in the early 1870's. I suspect someone may made pinfires in the US which predated ALL of this back in the 1830's by another French guy which is basically a cap built on rod into a cartridge.

Leave a comment:

• Denis V. Murphy II
    replied
    The oldest military cartiidge still in use today is the 7.62X54r developed for the Mosin Nagant rifle. Which is used by the CCCP/Russia Federation/ Finns in the 91/30. 91 is 1891 first MN, the 30 is 1930 when they changed the rifle not the cartridge. So used in MN 91/30, M44, T-53, SVT-38, SVT-40, Dragonuv sniper rifle today, and a light machine gun. you can buy 880 surplus rounds for less than 250.00 in today's market

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    First smokeless cartridge was probably the 8mm Lebel in 1886.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Forgot .. if you don't mind the primer (percussion cap) being separate from the metallic cartridge with central opening then consider the 1856 Maynard.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    The first S&W metallic cartridges were rimfires, not centerfires.

Where is Wane Van Zwoll when you need him to answer a question like this? ... perhaps the .61 caliber, paper-wrapped bullet with integral primer in the von Dreyse needle gun (1835) ... but the primer was located center between the powder and bullet.

For metallic, I'll go with Ed J that the .50 Government seems to get the nod.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    Whooo hooo! 1857!!! I win so far... Except this story doesn't even mention a caliber, it's from a history guide to gunsmithing.

"1857 - S&W started something that changed all this in America by introducing a successful metallic cartridge in 1857. The metallic cartridge was self-contained, meaning it carried its own powder, ball and primer cap all in one neat little package, and this package worked ...S&W started something that changed all this in America by introducing a successful metallic cartridge in 1857. The metallic cartridge was self-contained, meaning it carried its own powder, ball and primer cap all in one neat little package, and this package worked beautifully when loaded through the back of the barrel; ie: in a breechloader. The new metallic cartridge offered far quicker loading and re-loading, and perhaps of equal importance, it was waterproof."

Link:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=IV8IzXysjeUC&pg=PA341&sig=4bfFGwawYK31qfg-BgjGCqazvU0#PPA341,M1

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    Then... There's history versus claims.

There are many references to the .45-70 going back about to the War of Northern Aggression.

However, Winchester themselves claim that the .44-40 was the first successful centerfire round. To quote from their site:

"Winchester® Supreme® Centerfire Rifle Ammunition stands as the most technologically advanced line of centerfire rifle ammunition in history - a history 127 years in the making. In 1873, less than a decade after the Civil War and when Westward expansion was in full gallop, Winchester introduced the first successful centerfire cartridge: the .44 WCF (.44-40). Designed for double duty in both rifles and handguns, this is the cartridge that won the west. And to hunters and sportsmen wanting the ultimate ammunition for any big-game need, Winchester has been delivering ever since."

So there are conflicting dates to "first", "first commercial", "first successful", and "first official".

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    I think we need to look it up, but I don't think America made the first centerfire cartridge. It may be England.

But the .45-70, like above, is the oldest commercial reference to centerfire ammo...

"The 45-70 dates back to as early as 1865 but it wasn't standardized until 1873, a U.S. Government contract was issued for several thousand Springfield rifles chambered for the 45-70, it was then called the 45-70 Government cartridge."

Leave a comment:

• Hunter Savage
    replied
    clay i will have to take a look at that

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    cooner

What was the rreal first center fire cartridge made I don’t really know, but I do know the three you listed are fantastic cartridges and I own all three.

I’ve found thru history one thing for certain, Guglielmo Marconi was not the real inventor of the first radio transmitter.

http://www.ccrane.com/library/who-invented-radio.aspx

While googling around I found this link. One cartridge list is a 338/50, a 50BMG necked down to 338 cal shooting a 250 grain at 3700fps

GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=UoWa4CeDOccC&pg=PA124&lpg=PA124&dq=worldd s+first+centerfire+rifle&source=bl&ots=rw9rvhvuTN& sig=Sc-orW8u38v_sCtLXYaCQYi7AOQ&hl=en&ei=JWcaSqOCKJOyMcvP xIwP&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10#PPA5, M1

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ed J
    replied
    Reid
    Get the book "Cartriges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes. All kinds of interesting cartridges in it.
    The .50-70 Musket (.50 Govt.) would be the oldest centerfire used by the military. In use from 1866 to 1873.

Leave a comment:

• Ed J
    replied
    .45-70 was adopted by the US military in 1873. It was the official cartridge for about 19 years.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad