Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what was the first centerfire ammo caliber invented? not counting revolver. i'm talking rifles. i have it narrowed down to the .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First smokeless cartridge was probably the 8mm Lebel in 1886.

Comment

The oldest military cartiidge still in use today is the 7.62X54r developed for the Mosin Nagant rifle. Which is used by the CCCP/Russia Federation/ Finns in the 91/30. 91 is 1891 first MN, the 30 is 1930 when they changed the rifle not the cartridge. So used in MN 91/30, M44, T-53, SVT-38, SVT-40, Dragonuv sniper rifle today, and a light machine gun. you can buy 880 surplus rounds for less than 250.00 in today's market

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Mo View Post
        Reid, you didn't identify black powder or smokeless. 30-30 is first for smokeless. For black powder, that may be a bigger argument than 'what is the best caliber for deer'.
        I don't see an answer here and 1857 for Rimfire is really not correct.
        Priming compound in a thin case was patented in 1831 with thoughts for use in a airgun but this evolved into 22 cb cap by Flobert in 1845 which turned into 22 Short by Smith & Wesson in 1857.

Now the question still remains unanswered so.
        The centerfire (in a form we would recognize) was actually created in 1861 by a guy named Clement Pottet in Paris.

I can't answer who was the first manufacture in the US to make a firearm using one. Someone in the early 1870's. I suspect someone may made pinfires in the US which predated ALL of this back in the 1830's by another French guy which is basically a cap built on rod into a cartridge.

Comment

Reid, you didn't identify black powder or smokeless. 30-30 is first for smokeless. For black powder, that may be a bigger argument than 'what is the best caliber for deer'.
          opps guess I posted wrong oh well....

Comment

opps guess I posted wrong oh well....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad