Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When mounting a scope, how do you level the cross-hair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When mounting a scope, how do you level the cross-hair?

When mounting a scope, how do you level the cross-hair?

You can buy a tool to do it. They sell them on Amazon. Read the reviews first.

Comment

Actually, you can do it by eye, using the corner of a wall for reference to the vertical crosshair.
      I really don't think this adjustment is all that critical, unless you will be shooting at 300 yards or more.

Comment

Ditto 99.

Comment

Good Job 99E your old School!

Comment

Loosen your scope mounts first so it will rotate then follow99's post.

Comment

Level the rifle in a rest or vise. Sight on a string with a plumb bob or weight on the end. I live in a very old (200+yrs) house, not a lot of true corners on it.

Comment

I use a door or window trim and sill that I know is level and plumb to square up crosshairs. that said, i'm not shooting long ranges.

Comment

I use two little levels. You can buy them on ebay for about $10. Just search for "CROSSBOW SCOPE LEVELING LEVEL KIT" on ebay. I prop up the rifle on a gun rest and put one level on the top of the scope elevation turret and one level across the action or on the inside of the trigger guard (wherever you can find a flat spot).

I make them both level by turning the scope in loose mounts and then tighten the scope screws while I keep a watch on them. They work great. They are cheap, fast, easy and accurate.

It doesn't make much difference for deer hunting inside 100 yards but if you are interested in fine accuracy or shoot varmints beyond 200 yards, it is essential (as is learning to hold your rifle level when you shoot).

I have also leveled them with the "corner of the wall" method described by 99 above. The only trouble with that method is that I never know if my rifle is level when I do that so I mess up about half the time. I just went ahead and got a pair of the little levels and have used them for a lifetime.

Comment

I am the odd ball again. I don't shoot with my crosshairs level. The longest shot that I have ever taken was 450 yards and I had no trouble making that shot. That being said, since I started shooting about 60 years ago I have always canted my rifle to the left slightly. If I pick up your rifle and look through your scope your crosshairs look crooked to me. I set up my scopes to fit my hold. I am consistent every time with my hold. I have never had any trouble hitting anything so it must work for me, I know that the long range shooters will tell me that I can't hit anything at long range but like I said 450 yards is as long as I shoot so I don't worry about it. Anymore 300 is the longest shot that I have where I hunt and that is a rare shot. As I told someone a long time ago "If it works for you, don't change it "

Comment

Sighting in a rifle that is wearing a scope whose crosshairs are unlevel is a beast. Every time you make a vertical adjustment it changes the horizontal POI and then you have to adjust for that. By the time your done, you are 1. ready to pull your hair out, and 2. Usually out of ammo.
                      That being said, there are several bubble levels out there to use for this purpose as Dakotaman referred to, they are the best way to level crosshairs, and they don't lie.

Comment

Mine are not that far out that I have that problem or at least I haven't had yet in 50 years. Maybe 1 click or 2.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                          by Pmacc60
                          You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                          Today, 09:19 PM
                        • The Horse Race
                          by rock rat
                          There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                          Today, 09:43 AM
                          by 99explorer
                          The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                          The economy continued
                          Today, 09:03 PM
                          by Pmacc60
                          Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                          Today, 08:48 PM
                          by 99explorer
                          "Fake news" is a cop out.
                          I used it once myself to avoid doing research.
                          Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X