Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major peeve: Why is it all the idiots driving new big pickups feel compelled to turn on their fog lights at night even when its

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major peeve: Why is it all the idiots driving new big pickups feel compelled to turn on their fog lights at night even when its

Major peeve: Why is it all the idiots driving new big pickups feel compelled to turn on their fog lights at night even when its not foggy? Gad, driving back from pheasant hunting tonight it seemed every third vehicle oncoming was running with four lights blazing. Ugh! And it was a moonlit clear evening! When did this stupid fashion statement start? And why aren't the cops charging these idiots like they did when I was a young man?

Even i'm smart enough to know that it's simple driver courtesy to turn of your high beams before someone drives by.

Comment

I think it is oil field workers who like big, fancy trucks. Because there is an oil boom going on down here in South Texas, and notice rough necks like big, suped up trucks. So if there is a oil boom in Montana I would guess it is rough necks drilling all that evil oil that gets you from Canada to Montana.

Comment

No oil boom in Ontario and I see the same stupid crap there. Dallas, it's not high beams that are the problem. Actually, the fog lights are automatically turned off when high beams are on. They come up when headlights are dimmed. I don't know which is worse: having to put up with the high beams or the extra set of lights when they're dimmed. The answer is to simply flick off the fog lights switch. But then no one would notice these immature attention-seekers.

Comment

My headlight peeve would have to be the little yuppie cars that flash their headlights to tell me to dim my own, when I already have my low beams on. Man they annoy me. Especially when it's most always implants or out of staters who behave that way.

Comment

(tee hee, snicker, chortle)

Comment

OH, the driving lights are like cigarettes, if you have'em, light'em. Mine do shut off when the high beams are turned on.
              Other lights are more bothersome and unsafe, particularly those out of alignment.

OH, can you import those pheasants into Canada?

Comment

Are you talking about the lights mounted on the roof or a bar in the truckbed? If your talking about the little fog lights mounted on the lower bumper that shoot straight out and out of on coming cars line of sights I'm one of those yuppies. The ones on top of the trucks are just stupid and for looks not fog and more light is your enemy when it comes to fog in low light conditions. I use my "fog lights" because I have a hard time at night seeing and feel I can see much better with them. I have never seen a car with fog lights that shone into my sight.

Comment

Pray-Hunt-Work, Your lights sound as if they're out of alignment if it's bothering on coming traffic and that's on you why they are flashing you.

Comment

PHW, just flash them back so they can see what bright lights are.

I just love the ones who drive around during the day with their high beams on and point at an angle they shine directly into your face. I guess that as I get older the more sensitive I am to idiotocracy.

Comment

Pray, when pulling a stock trailer your headlights become pointed up. At night oncoming traffic (whether local or alien) cannot see that you're hooked to a trailer until the vehicles are very close. I often flash my brights at trailer haulers not being able to tell that they are already have their headlights on dim. Simply flash your brights back and they'll understand.

I think the comparison of lighting up a cigarette and extra "driving lights" is appropriate. Both are dangerous acts.

Fog lights are of no use except when driving in fog. They may help light up the area immediately to the side of the vehicle but I fail to see how that is in any way helpful when driving in normal conditions. By the time someone cruising at 60 mph sees what those lights illuminate, it's nearly behind them. It is dangerous to compel oncoming drivers to have to negotiate through twice as much light as necessary, ESPECIALLY as they approach the immediate vicinity of the oncoming car! Truck drivers don't drive with their fog lights on in normal conditions for that very reason.

Comment

Is this Field and Stream?
                        Did I get tossed through the black hole of Bonnier publishing to land, unceremoniously, upon the blogs of Car & Driver?
                        (snicker, tee hee!)

Comment

When else would they use them? You can't see in the fog with them. Give them a break, they probably cost $2000.

Comment

OH, I'm still at a loss of which style of lights you are referring to? The ones that sit low on predominately cars and SUV's if installed properly will not shine into oncoming traffics line of sight. Once again if your talking about the big arse headlight style you mount on the top of your truck or a light bar to light up half the city I understand. Also the ones I'm talking about that are on my vehicle (factory) help out tremendously at low light conditions by flooding the pavement in front of them with light which is exactly what fog lights are intended to do. Fog lights are not intended to shine up for obvious reasons, like trying to drive in fog with your brights. I suspect who ever you drove past had them installed wrong causing them to point up into your line of sight and not semi parallel with the road.

Regardless this is really a non-issue. I hate when people that are obese dress like they work out five days a week and wear yoga pants! Now that's something there should be a law for! I'm not skinny and I'm not a lardarse, with that being said I am considerate enough to wear proper sized clothes that don't show off my love handles. Just a personal thing, but if I wanted to I could scar your retinas.

Comment

OH- I do understand the stock trailer issue, and I do my very best not to blind the oncomers or get annoyed with their "inconveniences". DCast- it's the BMWs and such that I'm referring to, the ones who's drivers eyes sit 30" off the tar and don't understand that their problem is their fashion statement, not my headlights.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad