Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I was thinking what would be a good home defense gun and was wondering what you guys thought the best defense gun is for home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I was thinking what would be a good home defense gun and was wondering what you guys thought the best defense gun is for home

So I was thinking what would be a good home defense gun and was wondering what you guys thought the best defense gun is for home defense and for self defense?

Comment

A handgun. If you have not been properly trained in CQB with a long gun it is too easy for someone to take it from you as you clear a building. If you have an inexperienced shooter that would be using the weapon consider something with simple controls like a revolver or a Glock.

Comment

I like the S&W Governor: 410/45Lcolt/45Acp it's much better the the others on the Market, can BE carrier or left on a night stand in your bed room or you car/truck. MSRP $769.00 Real World $690.00+/- I keep it in my Camp Trailer or my night stand at Home. Check it out!

Comment

I like the S&W Governor: 410/45Lcolt/45Acp it's much better the the others on the Market, can BE carrier or left on a night stand in your bed room or you car/truck. MSRP $769.00 Real World $690.00+/- I keep it in my Camp Trailer or my night stand at Home. Check it out!

Comment

Count another vote for the revolver, preferably a snubby which would be harder to wrestle away from the homeowner.

Comment

A few things come to mind, like where do you live, are you in one of those repressed, anti-American cities where you are considered a felon if you defend yourself? If so, then move, anything else will not work. But if you reside some where that is still the USA, then I would ask you what are you more comfortable with, a hand gun or a long gun. If you are willing to put in the time to practice you can not beat 1911, if a revolver is more your speed, I would not look at anything below a .357 and have at least a 4" barrel. I suggest going to a range where you can rent different guns and try them out. Some folks like a shotgun for home defense, but you have to figure out your storage options with a shotgun, it is not something that you keep in the nightstand.

Comment

for Home defense go with a shotgun and bird shot something that wont blow holes in the wall the size of watermelons, you dont want over penetration if your in your house you dont want to shoot through a wall if there is a chance that another family member is on the other side. for personal defense and all around carry you cant go wrong with a wheel gun but some of them can be hard to carry ( not all) if you have a good working knowledge of pistols i like a compact Glock or a Kahr, or even something smaller depending on how you carry it i know several people who carry the Ruger LCP im not a huge fan of this just because small caliber small handle small sights and its only about a 10 gun (aka a belly gun) i like at least 40 cal stopping power. a 1911 is not a bad choice but they can be a little on the $$$ side, what ever you decide to go with shoot it shoot it alot throw it in the mud and shoot it shoot it from every position you can imagine and make sure it always works and you know what to expect.
                rule #1 always carry a gun
                rule #2 if your going to a gun fight bring all your guns and all your friends with guns and twice the ammo you think you will need.
                rule #3 anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice
                rule #4 no matter what anyone says a pistol is never as good as a rifle when your getting shot at.

Comment

Thanks guys that helps a lot! :-)

Comment

After carrying a handgun on duty for 35+ years and being the Department Firearms Instructor for over 25 years my advice for a home defense firearm is an 18 inch barrel shotgun or the one I keep handy which is a Taurus Judge Poly Defender loaded with #4 Buckshot. I have hammered it alot on the range and it has held up and I find it to be worthy to stake my life on. I have my duty weapon that they gave me when I retired which is a S&W 4566TSW .45, I have a Model 19 .357 and my new S&W Shield .40 caliber. Those firearms are locked up in my gun safe. My carry gun when I go out is my S&W Shield .40 because I can carry it in a pocket holster, belt holster or an ankle holster which makes it handy. The Taurus Judge Poly Defender is fairly light has high vis sights and with the #4 buckshot you don't have to perfect with your aim which 99.9% of the homeowners aren't that have never been trained in a high stress life or death situation. I don't claim to have all of the answers but I believe that I do have a lot of them. Most people don't have a clue what goes through your mind when that moment comes and what actions you will really take if any. Knowing how to shoot and when to shoot are as different as day and night. I pray thatnoone will ever have to make that decision.

Comment

Caliber and action ain't squat unless you can "handle" your personal defense weapon.
                      Properly applied, a .22 LR is devastating and vastly superior to a mishandled 12 bore.
                      Find something you're comfortable with and can shoot well!
                      Then practice. When you get bored with practicing, practice some more. Practice in the dark! Rouse up at 2am some morning and practice in your pj's! (don't think an intruder will allow you to get dressed!)
                      The middle of the night is when you're MOST vulnerable!
                      Practice!
                      Practice!
                      Then practice some more!

Comment

Practice at night in an enclosure so you can be prepared for the muzzle flash and report. You might not be able to see or hear for a time after you fire. I understand there is some handgun ammo that has special low flash powder but have not tried any.
                        I have handy a Maverick 12ga, 18" shotgun and a Glock .40S&W.

Comment

You can practice all that you want and you should by all means practice, We used to practice using simunitions, hard plastic bullets that hurt when they hit you and leave nasty marks on your body, and you can see the muzzle flash of the gun that fires them. sometimes from point blank range. Your heart rate soars, during this kind of training. I have seen veteran officers act like they have forgotten that they even have a gun. Even after years of this take it from someone that knows when the times comes it is a whole different ballgame and you won't even think. Your mind may even go blank and you will react to whatever your reflexes do, just hope they will carry you through. Muscle memory ( brain and body )is the only thing that will get you through. After it is over you may not be able to tell someone what you even did. Don't fall into a false sense of security that just because you have a gun, reguardless of what it is you will come out the winner. I have probably said enough , I will leave it at that.

Comment

For quite a while, I relied on a Remington 870 12 gauge with 20-inch barrel and a few practical modifications, but I sold it. Though a fine choice for house and cabin, it wasn't something I could carry. These days, I keep a sidearm within reach.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad