Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper age to buy a child their first gun? My daughter is 3 going on 4 and already seams to share my interest in sho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper age to buy a child their first gun? My daughter is 3 going on 4 and already seams to share my interest in sho

What is the proper age to buy a child their first gun? My daughter is 3 going on 4 and already seams to share my interest in shooting and hunting. My wife and I have tossed around the idea of getting her a BB gun but we just cant decide if it is to early or not.

Four is a little young, IMO. You might get a gun for her at four but only to carry, no BB's for a year or so. Take her hunting and let her carry it and take her to the range - get very good ear protection for her. Glad to see she is interested.
    Good luck.

Comment

JMO~~I started my Two Son's at the age of 5 with one BB-gun Till they grow longer arms,they both received a .22 Caliber Bolt Rifle at the age of 9 or 10...Teach Her *Safety* *Ethics* *Sportsmanship*and Train with Her a LOT.
      just saying
      Ps, my Son's are in there 40s and teaching their Son's

Comment

John- assuming that your knowledge of firearms and safe handling is sufficient, I would not say that she is too young now. IF you put some ground rules down. Should it be in her bedroom? No, lock it up with the rest of your guns and teach her that it's not a toy, it's a tool that her dad enjoys working with. Lock the ammo up in a separate place and be much more discrete about it. Young minds are creative and where there's a will there's a way. She only gets to help with the shooting when she's supervised, which may intrigue her more about the outdoors and shooting sports. Good luck, be safe and thank you for trying to raise another advocate for our outdoor sports!

Comment

I'll add that I do not believe there is a proper age. It's all case specific, I was squirrel hunting alone when I was 7-8 with my pellet gun, I'm sure that others will frown on it, but they didn't know me. I was also working 70 hrs a week on a lobster boat when I was 11. My brother, older by four years, wasn't allowed to have a gun in his room until he was 16. It's all case specific.

Comment

When I was young I had many play guns. But my mom and dad made me treat them as if they were real. I would get in big trouble if I intentionally pointed it at anyone. If it was an accident they would remind me kindly to watch were I pointed the barrel. After I graduated from that I was given a BB Gun. But you have to watch ricochet BB's because kids will shoot everything with a BB gun including hard surfaces that could send the BB back at the little one shooting. I think its a great idea to get her a BB gun just make sure your watching her when she is using it, and not let her have full or free access to it.

Comment

Chipmunk!
              Yes, start them early!
              BUT!!! Parental guidance is an absolute MUST!
              Sit with them at the bench. Better yet! Have them sit in your lap so YOU can control the gun!
              Where there is a will, there is a way!

Comment

BTW! My grandson was three days old when I bought him his first gun!

Comment

I was four when I got my first bb gun. Got a .410 when I was 6. All kids are different. As others have said over emphasize how important safety is. I was lucky, I grew up on a family farm. I was chasing squirrels every afternoon after school by the time I was seven. Dad started carrying me deer hunting with him when I was four. Every now and then he would let me pop a doe in the rear with my Daisy. Man, I felt like Davy Crockett when I actually touched one.

Comment

I got my first at 5. A little chipmunk .22. There is no age to start teaching gun safety and I think that if your child is responsible you can teach them a lot about the outdoors, safety, and hunting at that age. Ultimately you control their use of the firearm so it is up to you.

Comment

I got my son his 1st BB gun last year for Christmas he was 4. However I follow what Hunt Pray Work said. He is very good with handling and safety but I understand he is only 5 yrs old and curiosity can kill the cat/dog literally. He went hunting his 1st time with me at age 3 for doves and he absolutely loves hunting. I hope you have the same experience with your daughter as I have with my son.

Comment

I wasn't allowed to touch one till I was 5 my grandpa a WW2 vet took me out on his farm with an old BB gun and taught me to use it and how to be safe with it. JMO but I believe 4 might be a little young. One years difference when they're that young can make a world of difference.

Comment

I wasn't allowed to touch one till I was 5 my grandpa a WW2 vet took me out on his farm with an old BB gun and taught me to use it and how to be safe with it. JMO but I believe 4 might be a little young. One years difference when they're that young can make a world of difference.

Comment

As others pointed out it is a case by case decision that you face. If you're not comfortable with teaching safety and gun handling in general then I would suggest finding some one who is and make it a family project, mom, dad, and daughter. Then you can discuss and practice at home what you have learned. Even those of us who have been around firearms most of our lives can stand a refresher course from time to time and it will show her how committed you both are about safety. Good luck!

Comment

I might make a few hunters here angry but I think 5 is a little to young to have a gun. There is nothing wrong with exposing them to hunting and the outdoors at a young age, that will help them to appreciate nature. They don't know what it means to take a life. Would you let your child of 5 drive the family car or maybe use the chain saw, or power tools? There isn't much difference. A fellow one time couldn't believe I never shot myself with a nail gun (I built houses for forty years) and I said that's because I treat them like a weapon. I think a child should be a little older and be able to know what hunting is all about and what is involved. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad