Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little Trivia for the Natural World. Previously posted but we do have some new guys. What is the difference of an Ax or Hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little Trivia for the Natural World. Previously posted but we do have some new guys. What is the difference of an Ax or Hammer

A little Trivia for the Natural World. Previously posted but we do have some new guys. What is the difference of an Ax or Hammer made in America and one made in Europe and why?

I found a very interesting paper on this a while ago, and I'm afraid I've forgotten most of it. If I recall, the gist was that American axes have more weight behind the handle, whereas European axes have almost all the weight in front of it, with the blade. I also recall seeing a chart showing traditional axe patterns by region of America. I for one have found that I do better with a broader blade that is closer to the handle.

Comment

Very true T. But it has to do with mountain ranges

Comment

I think the European has a straighter handle.

Carl, What is the difference between an axe and a hatchet?

Comment

I'm stumped, Carl.
          Back in June, Outdoor Life posted a list for the best ax, hatchet and tomahawk.
          They have the ax made by the Swedes as number one.

www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2013/05/best-axes-11-awesome-axes-hatchets-and-tomahawks

Comment

jhjimbo; You are in the right Church just the wrong Pew. As far as Hatchet/Axe it's the length of the handle. As far as European/American it's the wood. But why?

Comment

Carl, must have to do with the grain.

The difference with a hatchet is , it is designed to be used with only one hand.

I do know there are some top axe manufacturers in Scandinavia that will not ship to the U.S.. They cite adverse litigation as the reason. They will ship to Canada. Have you thanked a lawyer today?

Comment

I am speaking of a time before plastics and fiber glass. Mountain ranges are a contributing factor.

Comment

The "ice axe" is used on snow covered mountain peaks by mountain climbers.

Just a wild guess, Carl.

Comment

Hmmm...mountain ranges....and probably something to do with the handle...and hammers AND axes. Does it have to do with having one foot higher than the other when swinging an ax on a mountain? I guess that could somehow apply to sledgehammers, too. Or does it have to do with the wood used in the handles? Is there a reason we mostly use hickory and ash?

Comment

The difference between the two is American tools use Hickory for the handle. European's use Ash. The reason for this is the mountain ranges in America run north-south. In Europe east-west. For this reason Hickory trees once indigenous could not out run the last Ice Age. So Ash was the wood of choice.
                      As a side note new growth Hickory is used because it is springy. Tree stumps are left about 6 feet tall forcing new growth. They are used for handles, canes, ram rods or what ever.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad