Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody on here tape ballistics to their stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH, I'd say it is the "long range hunting crowd" that does this more than the "range crowd". On the range, shooting notes and Smartphone ballistics software are typically used to confirm these facts. When hunting we don't have time for that.

A buddy of mine went to a very expensive three day training session in Montana for long range hunting where they taught him to do this. It only cost him about $5000 for that and a little other advice. I give him credit for preparation though and he has successfully taken numerous trophies from 400 to 800 yards throughout the world.

To the contrary, I think it is the "short range shooting crowd" that doesn't use this practice. You have to have quite a brain to memorize a couple dozen related facts and have perfect recall in a moment of adrenalin rush. Most current hunters are "short range shooters" and don't need this but I would advise everyone who intends to prepare their rifle and their capability for shots beyond 600 yards to tape ballistics info on their stock and make it large enough so they can read it without reading glasses.

With better rifles, scopes, bullets and technology arriving every day, we will see more of this practice in the field and hunters will move their ethical ranges out just like they did as we transitioned from the long bow to the rifle. That is unless the new computer-based sighting and shooting control systems take over. Then we won't need it.

Comment

OH, I'd say it is the "long range hunting crowd" that does this more than the "range crowd". On the range, shooting notes and Smartphone ballistics software are typically used to confirm these facts. When hunting we don't have time for that.

A buddy of mine went to a very expensive three day training session in Montana for long range hunting where they taught him to do this. It only cost him about $5000 for that and a little other advice. I give him credit for preparation though and he has successfully taken numerous trophies from 400 to 800 yards throughout the world.

To the contrary, I think it is the "short range shooting crowd" that doesn't use this practice. You have to have quite a brain to memorize a couple dozen related facts and have perfect recall in a moment of adrenalin rush. Most current hunters are "short range shooters" and don't need this but I would advise everyone who intends to prepare their rifle and their capability for shots beyond 600 yards to tape ballistics info on their stock and make it large enough so they can read it without reading glasses.

With better rifles, scopes, bullets and technology arriving every day, we will see more of this practice in the field and hunters will move their ethical ranges out just like they did as we transitioned from the long bow to the rifle. That is unless the new computer-based sighting and shooting control systems take over. Then we won't need it.

Comment

I shoot only inside of 300yds and know what my bullet does at that range w/o a cheat sheet.

Comment

I shoot only inside of 300yds and know what my bullet does at that range w/o a cheat sheet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad