Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody on here tape ballistics to their stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody on here tape ballistics to their stock?

Does anybody on here tape ballistics to their stock?

I have thought about it but have never done it since almost any shot for me is limited to 200 yards and under due to terrain. My Ruger American came with a ballistics decal for Hornady Ammo. The thing with referring to ballistic charts is that I've never seen a deer stand still long enough for me to formulate a shot if I did check it.

Comment

I have a table on my JC Higigns .22lr rifle I shoot silhouette with.
      Most all hunting rifles I have are sighted in 1" or 1 1/2" high at 100yds, so, like 30-06 above, they shoot dead on for most game animals out to normal shooting ranges of 100 to 200yds.

Comment

Yup to '06, yup to jimbo.
        Why do I need a ballistics table? All my shots are 250 or less.
        With my .270 and a 130 gr Sierra BTSP , put the "X" where you want the bulley! It'll be within an inch or two of "Bingo!"!

Comment

I have mine on the inside of the lens cap on my scope. Tells me what each of my mill dots are or what my holds are on guns without a turret.

Comment

Yup on all my rifles. I stay with the same round too, Find the best one and never switch.

One year the deer of a life time is going to walk in front of me and i war to be ready.

Comment

Right now all of my shots are 150 yards or less. I have my ballistic tables taped on all of my ammo boxes in case I need to reference them on future hunts where the shots will be longer.

Comment

without trying to sound like a pompous donkey I forced myself to memorize what I need to know for a specific hunt or shooting scenario. So it's actually very limited the holds I need to memorize for given yardages in deer hunting situations. So I just memorize the distances and mil's associated with those for my round. It's served me well because I've had a scenario where a buck got kicked up while I was posted in a corner of a field. He ran by me flat out and didn't stop til he was 325 yards out but stopped broadside. I knew my drop was right at 20" at 300. 2 mils = 21 (approx.) at 300. I'm zero'd at 200 tho and so all I had to do was memorize differences between 200 ballistics on my round to 300, 400, etc. Being comfortable with mil conversions is really what it came down to. I'm sure a table for quick reference would actually be easier.. haha

Comment

What I do is I go to www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator and type in my bullet information(BC, MV, weight, sight in range, etc.) click "calculate", and at the bottom of the results it says "print". I print on a piece of paper, trim it down to make it fit on my stock, then tape it on.

Comment

This isn't needed for rifles that are fast and flat shooting and hunting conditions where shots will be under 400 yards or so. For example, I zero my 25-06s at 200 yards and aim where I want to hit at 100 and 200. I level on the top of the back at 300 yards, eyes at 500 yards and top of the rack at 600 yards. I need to remember 10 mph windage for 500 and 600 but don't have to worry about wind short of that.

Long range shooting presents different issues though. I tape ballistics info on all rifles that will shoot out to 1000 yards or beyond. My long range rifles all have reticle hashes for precise holdover out to the ranges I intend to use them but I need help remembering drops and windage for a dozen or so ranges. If I don't remember it I take time to look. If I don't have time to do this, I don't take the shot.

If I think I have time, I prefer to dial come-ups and windage on the turrets when game is over 600 yards away.

I watch the wind and measure the wind continuously while I hunt or while stalking, checking my windage memory at various long ranges against what is on the stock.

For slower, limited range rifles like the 30-06 with 168g bullets, I just put windages on the stock for 400 yards and beyond. I use the scope's BDC reticle for holdover on all shots out to 700 yards.

For many years I only shot one fast rifle with only a couple loads (varmint and deer) and I shot that nearly every week. It was a lot easier to remember the drops and windage that way for sure.

Comment

I did at one time with my Win/70-.264Mag.

Comment

The young fella I took deer hunting last week had some ballistics stuff taped to his gun's butt stock. It was from the previous owner. Patrick was having a difficult time trying to peel the crap off without wrecking the finish on that hardly-used old Remington 700. I suggested rubbing alcohol. I should check to see how he made out. Frankly, I had never seen anything like that before. Must be something the range crowd does. I'm not much for the range scene.

Comment

Taking long shots at big game beyond 200 yards was something I was taught by my dad to avoid out of respect for the animal (we never did any varmint hunting). So, we never had need for Kentucky windage charts taped to our guns.

Comment

No, I know precisely where point of aim should be for each of my hunting loads. I etch it into my brain before the hunt.

Comment

I have always felt the least I can do is memorize this information. So far this has worked fine

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad