Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I finally got to look through a Leupold VX-2 today, and differance in comparison between it and my current Nikon Prostaff was ni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally got to look through a Leupold VX-2 today, and differance in comparison between it and my current Nikon Prostaff was ni

I finally got to look through a Leupold VX-2 today, and differance in comparison between it and my current Nikon Prostaff was night and day. It looked as bright and clear as regular vision. So my question is: as far as clarity and brightness how much better is a $500 and up scope than Leupold VX-2?

I look at it this way: I don't think that a 2%-3% increase in clarity and brightness would justify a 100% increase in price.

Comment

Bottom-end scopes like the Pro Staff, etc. suffer from the same issue: lower light transmission at dawn and dusk due to inferior lens coatings. Young eyes and broad daylight are adequately served by cheap scopes. That last 15 minutes of shooting light is where the better scopes shine. How many trophy animals does it take to justify spending another couple of Benjamins? Not saying your Nikon is inadequate or anything, but usually extra money spent on better optics is worth it.

Comment

DITTO~~99E,WAM...Well put Gents +1

Comment

I have looked through Zeiss scopes.
          I'm no "glassologist", but I couldn't see spending twice the money for the Zeiss.
          I'm not saying Zeiss isn't worth it, just not to me.
          There are some cheaper scopes that do an acceptable job, but when "acceptable" isn't "acceptable", go with Leupold.

Comment

I'll hide behind Treestand this round, WAM and 99E have it right. Even though they differ in opinion slightly.

Comment

Clarity isn't the only aspect of a scope that is important but it is the easiest to see.

Field of vision is also important for a hunting scope. It allows you to locate a deer quickly in the trees for a fast shot, often the only one you will get.

Light gathering allows you to hunt a little longer each day. It also lets you see better in heavy timbers.

You can easily judge these three capabilities by looking through the scopes side-by-side as you did. If all you are doing is deer hunting, you don't need to pay more for unused features. When you get to the level of a Nikon Monarch, VX-2, Vortex Diamondback or Zies Conquest, you have plenty of scope to succeed. Take the one you prefer after looking through them. You will like the VX-3 and Vortex Viper even better but you don't have to spend money on them for deer.

Durability is also an issue for hunters and this includes vendor support should something ever go wrong with it. The plastic on less expensive scopes won't wear like steel and aluminum and internal mechanisms become more rigorous as you cross over the $500 mark. You can expect to drop your rifle out of a tree stand and not have to check its zero with a VX-3. Lesser scopes might give you a "Sara Palin's caribou" experience where her scope was knocked off by a fall during the hunt. That happens all the time and that is why so many have come to trust their Leupolds.

If your rifle will go beyond the deer woods into the land of long range shooting, target shooting and varminting, the VX-2 won't cut it. For varmint, target and long range hunting scopes, accuracy is the MOST important capability and all scopes aren't equal here either. You pay more for supreme accuracy and that doesn't stop at $2000. Generally, you get more precise for more money all the way up. Scope technology is changing rapidly though and we are able to get a lot more for our dollar than we used to. It is now possible to get outstanding long range accuracy starting under $1000. The Leupold VX-3 is the gold standard for this category but it gets good competition from several others like the Zeiss Conquest and the Vortex Viper. Here it depends on whether you intend to hunt beyond 300 yards or whether .1 inch is important to you at 100 yards.

Varminters benefit from several scope features that cost money such as high magnification, graduated reticles, low parallax, adjustable turrets, zero stops, etc. These cost money and are worth it if you do this type of shooting.

The VX-2 is a very good scope for the price is an excellent deer hunting scope for typical use. Deer are a big target and you often hunt them in the trees where light is filtered. You will find that a scope like the VX-3 will give you better light gathering and durability but that is about it. Its improved range and accuracy is of little value to hunters plugging a deer at 50 yards in the trees.

For varminters and long range shooters, you can also count on better accuracy and more long range shooting features as you pay more (like higher magnification, graduated reticles, tactical turrets, etc.). Scopes like the Nikon Monarch or the Viper give you bullet drop compensating reticles that enable your rifle to be more effective out to 500 yards and beyond. At ranges of 600-1000 yards you will need these features to succeed.

Comment

The VX-2 will meet virtually every need you will have hunting. I have several that have been all time tested and proven. Because of their performance I am a big fan of Leupold. Spend just a few dollars more and ge the 3x9x50.

Comment

ALJoe,
                  I was contemplating that, but I didn't want to get high scope rings.

Comment

They make very little difference. I also have Leupold mounts on all of my rifles. The base is the same with just a little higher rings. If you are worried about your scope sitting up to "high" it won't be a problem. The 50 mm end will make a bit of a difference in light transmission with a very little change in price.

Comment

You might not need higher rings for a 50mm, depending on the configuration of the rifle. The bottom edge of the 50mm objective lens is only 5mm closer to the barrel.
                      Check it out.

Comment

I agree with 99. If you can slide a dollar bill between your scope and barrel, you have enough clearance.

Comment

I have a Zeiss optics scope on my Rem 700 XCR. I love it one of the most beautiful scopes I have ever shot with. Paid a lot of money for it. @DakotaMan has a valid point, if you ever aspire to go long range its imperative that you plan for that. If I could go back I would have purchased a scope with milage dots.

Comment

Nikon is dropping their Prostaff line. I understand they are dropping their Buckmaster line also. From what I gather from their websight they have upgraded the Buckmaster line and now call it the Prostaff 5. They have also added an upgrade to the Monarch line to include the Monarch 3. I have mostly Buckmasters which have given me outstanding service over many years of service, some of which have not been so gentle. My next scope purchases will probably be the Monarchs whenever that may be, however there are no new rifles that I can see in the forseeable future.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                              by DakotaMan
                              WOW! Do you mind if I frame that for my shop Red? That is the absolutely best answer I've ever heard on this mystery question. You've got to get the bullet...
                              Today, 01:23 PM
                            • How much is too much?
                              by FirstBubba
                              There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                              Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                            • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                              by Pmacc60
                              Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use....
                              Today, 01:17 PM
                            • 30 06 bullets
                              by Cobey alvarez
                              What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                              07-07-2020, 11:41 PM
                            • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                              by DakotaMan
                              Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That...
                              Today, 01:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X