Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Trivia; Back in the late 50's and early 60's, there were two Western Rope Operas on TV where the main characters did not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Trivia; Back in the late 50's and early 60's, there were two Western Rope Operas on TV where the main characters did not

Sunday Trivia; Back in the late 50's and early 60's, there were two Western Rope Operas on TV where the main characters did not use the regular lead pill dispensing wheel guns of the period but instead used miniature internal combustion engines with single use pistons for their modified bang sticks. Name these two shows, the star characters, the actors that played them, what weapons they used and a description of each weapon. Please just one answer per response.

F Troop?

Comment

Bat Masterson

Comment

Nope RockySquirrel, the cannon in the opening seen is definitely not a normal shootin' iron, but the characters did wear wheel guns in their holsters.

Comment

All I can think of is Wild Wild West starring Robert Conrade.

Comment

Carl, hint; a boom stick is associated with shot and a bang stick is associated with a bullet. Also one of the shows had Johnny Crawford in it for 168 episodes while the other show had Wright King in it for 11 episodes.

Comment

I remember Lash LaRue, but can't come up with the second.

Comment

Wait a minute, Yancy Derringer is a better fit for your description, using the derringers he had hidden all over himself. His podna was Pahoo, a sawed of shotgun toting Injun who loaded split buckshot in his shells, whatever they are. Sorry, but the Native American appellation hadn't been invented then.

The aforementioned Lash LaRue used a bullwhip At the risk of being politically incorrect and insensitive to lifestyle choices, that sure was a gay-sounding name.

Both answers are likely wrong, but they are the strangest I could come up with.

Comment

Johnny Crawford played the part of Mark McCain, the son of Lucas McCain played by Chuck Connors.
                  That program was "The Rifleman"!
                  McCain was a farmer/rancher who had fought in the Civil War and didn't like handguns. His weapon of choice looked to be a Winchester in .38-40 or maybe .44-40.
                  The "looped" lever allowed him (supposedly) to rapid fire the gun.

The other "non-handgun" arm belonged to Steve McQueen. The program was "WANTED: Dead or Alive". I can't recall the character name. He carried a chopped down lever Winchester like a side arm and could fire it without drawing.

There was another show that starred Nick Adams as Johnny Yuma. The show was "The Rebel". He wore a rebel "cap". Don't remember his side arm.

Comment

Once you mentioned Johnny Crawford [a former Mousketer]. Like FirstBubba mentioned it was an easy leap to the Riflemen. Wright King was a tough one. But FirstBubba brought up Steve McQueen [Josh Randell] and I sort of remember another bounty hunter for a short time as the series progressed. But he was a bad guy I think. Both shows had modified Winchesters. The Rebel had a Sawed off Shotgun. I also remember Chuck Conner's [a former Baseball player] in Branded having a broken Cavalry Saber. I guess it was an era of modification.

Comment

Congrats to FirstBubba and Carl. Chuck Connors as Lucas McCain in "THE RIFLEMAN" used a Winchester model 1892 with a large ring type lever. The ring was so that he could rotate or spin the whole rifle around the lever and automatically kock the gun. The lever was also modified such that an appendage could be adjusted to automatically trip the trigger when the lever was closed to make the gun rapid fire as was demonstrated in the shows opening credits. Of course Johnny Crawford played Lucas's son, Mark McCain.

Steve McQueen's character, Josh Randall, on the show "Wanted: Dead or Alive" carried a sawed off .44-40 Winchester rifle nick named the "Mare's Leg" in his holster as a side arm. An interesting note; two different guns were used during filming, one with a round lever and one with an oval lever. Also the amo in the gun belt did not fit either gun because it was .44-70. The amo in the belt was just for looks and the .44-70 looked much meaner than what actually fit the guns. Wright King played bounty hunter Josh's side kick, Jason Nickols for eleven episodes before there was a falling out over Nickols taking some prisoners dead instead of alive.

In the clue, I said "bang stick" which I was taught refers to a rifle where as a "boom stick" refers to a shot gun. The term wheel gun refers to a revolver and is more appropriate than six shooter because in the westerns a six shooter often fired more than six bullets without reloading. The Rebel, Johnny Yuma, carried a sawed off double barrel shot gun he called a scatter gun.

Comment

Santa, The Rifleman prompted me to practice shooting my '94 (standard lever) like he did on the show. Not as fast, but I got pretty good and actually shot a couple deer from the hip because I had practiced shooting targets. I used to put the stock against the top of my leg. I think that gun could load 7 rounds, Rem 170gr FP. Pinched the finger a few times at first, but with practice that was not a problem. I used to call it the 'poor mans automatic'.

Comment

jhjimbo I might be wrong. But I remember the Rifleman had a small screw that would trip the trigger on closing the lever. I remember him backing it off in one show.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad