Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which scope do you like better, the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with a Duplex reticle, or a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 with a Dead-Hold BDC ret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which scope do you like better, the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with a Duplex reticle, or a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 with a Dead-Hold BDC ret

Which scope do you like better, the Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with a Duplex reticle, or a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 with a Dead-Hold BDC reticle. Each company has equal warranty policies, so I'm just talking performance.

Leupold!

Comment

Congratulations, you're now comparing apples to apples. Either would be great, my next will be a vortex though. Not sure if you read about Dakota Mans dealings with Vortex customer service but it was much more remarkable than leupolds.

Comment

Both fine hunting scopes! I'd take the Vortex for clarity and light gathering more like the Leupold VX3. If it were up to me, I'd spend the extra $75 and get the Viper HS in 2.5-10x. Its a few ounces heavier but worth it. I really like the BDC reticle for long range shooting too.

Both Vortex and Leupold product support are outstanding. Last month I bought a used Viper PST 6-24x FFP on gunbroker.com. I detected a tracking problem the day before departure on my elk hunt. I called them for help and they were ABSOLUTELY the BEST product support I have ever experienced in my life. They were amazingly sympathetic and pulled all stops to analyze it and ship a new scope within an hour of arrival. They shipped for next day delivery on my route to Montana. I was able to install, certify and use it on my 2013 hunt that very week. An amazing scope! Amazing support! I've had the same experience with Leupold repairing a sticky magnification ring on a used VX2 but it took them three weeks and I have always been elated with their support.

I buy scopes from both companies in used condition on ebay or gunbroker because their warranties are so exceptional.

The one feature I prefer on the VX2 is the bump on the magnification ring. It helps me turn the ring while aiming through the scope. The Vortex is smooth and a little more difficult to find while aiming. I have several Leupold scopes (mostly VXIIIs) and have nothing but respect for them. A VX2 is almost their low end though and nothing like a VX3 and above. The Viper HS IS closer to a VX3 for about $150 less.

Look at them side-by-side and take the one you think is better... you can't go wrong. And don't be afraid the Viper won't perform... it will.

Comment

Looks like I beat you to your own Story Dakota, sorry about that...

Comment

Pray-Hunt-Work,
            This is purely curiosity, but was I not previously comparing apples to apples?

Comment

Weatherby vs. Savage was close to comparing a Tasco World Class Plus to a Swarovski...

Comment

P-H-W... funny, I guess I was typing at exactly the same time you were. I've returned from the elk hunt and am anxious to get some more long range accuracy testing with the new Vortex Viper PST. I shot about 100 rounds certifying it out to 1000 yards. I did experience some serious clarity issues when shooting toward the bright morning sun with no sun shield. I observed pretty intense light reflection and it gave me issues visualizing the target at 1000 yards. I'm not sure I wouldn't have had the same issue with any other scope though. That is why they supply sun shields for those high magnification scopes. I later added the sun shield and that resolved the problem. I left the sun shield on for hunting but could have survived without it for hunting conditions. I wouldn't have had trouble seeing an elk at 1000 yards.

When I test scopes, I like to run them through the paces of all likely field conditions and pay special attention to accuracy and highly positive tracking on the reticle. I'm still getting accustomed to the real FAT reticle in this first focal plane scope when on 24x. I'm accustomed to centering my cross hair on a three inch white circle on black background at 1000 yards and this reticle covers that. I may have to shoot these targets on a lower magnification to get a smaller reticle image.

I have decided I really don't need to range on all magnifications so I am beginning to question my choice of a first focal plane scope for my intended use. The fine cross hair is more important to me. I'm anxious to get back to more testing with this scope once I get caught up on my to-do list.

Comment

I fully agree about the size of the crosshairs Dakota, but have limited to no expirence with those distance shots. My VX-II 3-9 cranked way up gives a similar issue at 300 yards, but I'm sure what you're dealing with is way worse given the larger scale. Good luck in your testing, worst case, you still have fun and that's hard to beat. I drove past a field of ours the other day to see 400-500 varments in it. With the truck on I could hear them at 500-600 yards away as if they were in my pocket. That said, I believe I'll be building a varminter this winter!

Comment

I run Leupolds on all of my rifles (except one). I have two vx-II 3x9x50's. Probably not hardly as good as my Vx-III, but they will do anything I need them to do. I have one VX-II that was bought, mounted, and zeroed in 18 years ago. i haven't touched it since. It sees the woods more than any other gun and scope combo that I have ( it's on a model 70 .270). From everything I hear and read a Vortex is a great scope. I just can't go against what has always worked for me.

Comment

Pray-Hunt-Work,
                      I'm not trying to gripe, but the reason I compared a Savage to Weatherby was because I was wondering if you don't gain anyting as far as accuracy(In fact, you might lose accuracy) then is it really worth it to pay at least $1000 more for craftsmanship?

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with VX-2s. I have 4 of them at present, but there are better scopes out there. No experience with Vortex or other stuff made in China. Don't know where Vortex is made.

Comment

I've had only one experience with Customer Service at Leupold.
                          I sent a VX-II back to the factory because the power selector ring had become very stiff and hard to turn.
                          When I got it back, the power selector ring was somewhat easier to turn but not nearly as easy as when it was new. The work order form that accompanied the scope showed that the selector ring had been "reworked," whatever that means.
                          I was less than satisfied with the result, and I later sold the rifle with the scope.

Comment

WAM,
                            Vortex Optics has beem open since 2002 and is becoming very popular because of the very high quality glass. And it's a American based company that produces their products in the Phillipines like Nikon, Bushnell and many other optics companies. And considering that they've only been open for 11 yrs they may pass up Leupold as far as popularity.

Comment

Leupold Alaska tested !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad