Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you guy recomend for a good machete with a blade length of at least 22 inches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you guy recomend for a good machete with a blade length of at least 22 inches?

What would you guy recomend for a good machete with a blade length of at least 22 inches?

What are you going to be doing? Decapitating hordes of zombies and the occasional vampire. Finding a 22" machete is quite difficult so the best I could do was a Condor knife and tool 20" Outback Machete so if it works here's the link:

www.condortk.com/productos-detalle.php?producto=51&cat=21

Comment

I have a Sportsman's Pal. It isn't 22 inches long but it is well made with a thick blade and a brush hook. I am pretty happy with it.

Comment

22" is a big blade. I'd like to hear what you end up with. I purchased two 18" SOGfari machetes on sale a year or two ago. Day 1 I destroyed one of them hacking woody brush up to maybe 2" in thickness. The blade actually failed along a stress line about 3/4" of an inch up from the edge. I've been more careful with the second one but it still has some good sized bites out of it now. Which gets to the point. I don't want to have to baby my machete. I've gone back to my much shorter KaBar camp knife for those tasks. I'd like to hear what you end up with, but I've been leaning towards a Sportsman's Pal like DSM.

Comment

About 10 bucks at a surplus store.

Comment

Actually, I've got two. One stamped "Made in China", the other stamped "Made in Mexico".
            Neither is much to look at! I sharpen them with an angle grinder. They hold a good enough edge for what I use them for. Which is clearing trails, shooting lanes and splitting kindling!
            Don't think I spent over $15 for both of them.

Comment

I know gerber and sog make pretty decent machetes
              I would also check out fiskars. You'll probably need to sharpen most of the cheap ones if you plan on hacking up zombies.

Comment

Cold Steel

Comment

I think you guys mean the Woodsman's Pal. The Sportsmans Pal is like an old time leatherman. I would agree though that the Woodsmans Pal is the way to go. I have seen too many cheapos break during heavy use.

Comment

Length depends a bit on your primary use. I have found a shorter blade is better working in heavy cover. In fact a blunt tip is a good idea in cover, one is less apt to get nicked in the forehead while flailing away. Have seen pigmy grind tips off their machetes for this reason. My favorite has a blade of only 12 inches, but that is probably on the short side for most. 22 inches seems a little long, unless you need the extra reach for a wide swath. Just a couple thoughts.

Comment

Thanks, Buckeye. It is a Woodsman's pal.

Comment

Get the one that has a proven history in the jungles of WWII (and Vietnam). “The woodsman’s Pal”. Everything else is a wanna be.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad