Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'be been out west and I know what their public land is (BLM, National Forest, wilderness area, etc), but I've never been to the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'be been out west and I know what their public land is (BLM, National Forest, wilderness area, etc), but I've never been to the

I'be been out west and I know what their public land is (BLM, National Forest, wilderness area, etc), but I've never been to the eastern United States (more specifically east of the Mississippi Riverl) so I was wondering what type of public land is out there. Is it all WMA or is there something else too.

In Tennessee public land is WMA and the only ones worth while are the special draw hunts which are on a point system. Trying to hunt big game on a full access WMA is a waste of time and can be downright dangerous with some of the people I have encountered. With the draw hunts you register online and accumulate a point each year you are not drawn. In short it gets way too crowded too fast on a regular WMA hunt.

Comment

In PA we have game lands and state parks but it is NOTHING like the amount of public land west of the Mississippi. Go west if you can, there's not much room here comparatively speaking. I do love the hunting traditions here though. We have more land to hunt than many other eastern states but lots of hunters too.I have been west many times it is just a different world access wise.

Comment

Get this, I know 10,000 people that hunt in Maine if I know 1. I do not know a single person that pays any type of hunting lease and most I know hunt privately owned land on a hand shake and a wave or verbal permission type agreement. I do not know of but two or three state owned hunting ares in Maine. Over crowding isn't an issue, neither is not being able to afford your passion. If you want a whitetail tag, you buy it over the counter.

Comment

Up State New York has the 3,000,000 acre Adirondack Park. Much of it is 'forever wild'.

Comment

Hobob,
            Don't forget that in addition to over a million acres of game lands, there are 2 million acres of state forest, half a million acres of national forest, and about another million acres of private land owned by farmers, timber, and oil companies that are open to public hunting.

We are very lucky compared to most hunters in the east...except for our Game Commission's current "if it's brown shoot it down" deer management policy.

Comment

In Florida their are over 2,800,000 acre of WMA Public Land, We have 19/Deer Pre.Sq.Mile,Out of State Licenses $151.50 or $46.50 for a 10 day Lic.
              Management Area Permit $27.00,Turkey Per,(nonresident)$125.00. Most State Land have the greatest amount of SLOB Hunters.(do to this Economy)just my Guess they look at it as FREE Meat???

Comment

Michigan has a large amount of state land, but as many others have posted it is hunted very hard. Bow season isn't quite as bad. However if you do your research and are willing to do some walking you can you can still find some great bucks in this state. The thing I can say about Michigan is hunting is a TRADITION and many places give opening day off to there employees as a holiday.

Comment

In Georgia we have WMA's, a lot of National Forest, and State parks which are public (though you have to be drawn to hunt).

Comment

In WV we have vast amounts of national Forest and in the area that I covered the National Forest wasn't really hunted very hard and it was some of the best hunting in the area. Mainly because a person has to walk several miles to get to the best hunting. No vehicles allowed. We also have state land(WMA's) also.

Comment

here in maryland, we also have National Resource Management Area (NRMA) and watersheds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad