Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearl the wonder dog does it again. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl the wonder dog does it again. See first post.

Pearl the wonder dog does it again. See first post.

Well, Pearl cheats death once again! Just before dusk the Brittany pup nailed down a pheasant near a large barely frozen over reservoir. She was on the other side of some cottonwoods and I did my best to get to her but the pheasants jumped. A hen and a rooster. I got a difficult shot through the trees and he locked up and glided around the corner to a point. Figured we could put him up again on the way back to the rig. But the dogs couldn’t pick up a scent in the grass and rushes over there. As I climbed up on the earthen dam to hunt the other side of the ditch below it, I noticed something on the ice that I didn’t recall seeing on the way in. Pulled out my pocket binocs and was surprised to find it was the crumpled rooster laying out about sixty yards. Okay, what to do. Figured I’d better go back to the Jimmy and get my brother and his son to see what they thought. Just as I turned to leave Pearl caught sight of the bird. She looked at me and then looked at the pheasant. Then she started out after it! Ceeripes! Every step made the ice crack! She stopped momentarily which made a louder crack then refocused and hurried her step. But then my younger lab Opal and the pup decided to follow her. I immediately screamed at them and they returned. Whew! That ice would not have held the three of them. Pearl gingerly picked up the rooster and returned lickety split. She broke through right at the shore in ankle deep water. Gad, I don’t think I took a breath through the whole ordeal. That old girl has a guardian angel!

Comment

WoW Honker that's a Great Story for F&S back page!

How my Lab cheated death!!

Comment

Honker,
        You are real lucky, Pearl must have 9 lives and a guardian Angel. A sister lost a Border Collie through the ice and it is heartbreaking.

Comment

Some of you will recall that she was bit by a rattler two years ago (actually within a stone's throw of the reservoir) and was supposed to have died of terminal brain cancer last year. She was also run over by a truck at age 11 months and sustained a fractured skull which she also survived 100%. She seems invincible, that's for sure!

Comment

Wow! Lucky girl!

Comment

I hope when this dog finally goes out it's not going to be something like a heart attack or stroke. Any average dog can die from one of those. No, when this dog finally does meet its end it needs to be something heroic and news worthy, like saving a bus load of orphans from a freezing river or ending a hostage situation or something like that. I wish we could all have a dog like her OH.

Comment

Man you got one heck ofa dog!!!

Comment

Great story Honker!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad