Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you guys talk about hunting in Africa you call the hunting guide a PH, what does PH stand for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you guys talk about hunting in Africa you call the hunting guide a PH, what does PH stand for?

When you guys talk about hunting in Africa you call the hunting guide a PH, what does PH stand for?

Professional Hunter

Comment

Conditions for approval vary from country to country. For example they may require examinations, apprenticeship, and legal approval.

Comment

Previously called "white hunter."

Comment

Psychotic Human?
          Physically Handicapped?
          Psychologically Handicapped?

Never been to the "Dark Continent", except between the pages of Rouark, Taylor and Capstick. I understand the original term was "White Hunter" for obvious reasons.
          I can't remember the name of the book I read, but it's basis was the fact that some professional African hunting guides no longer "fit" that particular criteria! LOL!
          As that changed and evolved, PH, or Professional Hunter became the accepted "title".
          Am I pretty close H. Myles?

Comment

In Namibia, at least, it is a title held after getting through a pretty extensive testing process. There are other designations that allow you to do different things.

From www.natron.net/napha/english/huntinglaws.html

"Hunting shall be conducted exclusively in company of a registered hunting guide , master hunting guide or professional hunter.

Hunting guides (HG) may only conduct hunts on their own farm(s), duly registered as a hunting farm(s).

Master hunting guides (MHG) may only conduct hunts on their own farm(s) duly registered, plus two additional duly registered hunting farms.

Professional hunters (PH) may conduct hunts on all farms, provided they have written permission from the owner of the property independent of whether the farm is registered or not.

P H with big-game licence.Only these PH's may conduct hunts with guests for elephant, rhinoceros, buffalo and lion.

Bow hunting. Only hunting guides/ master hunting guides/ professional hunters in possession of a valid bow hunting licence may conduct bow hunting and guide bow hunters."

Comment

Bubba,
              Brian Herne, in his book White Hunters spends a few pages attempting to explain where the term came from. He claims Donald Kerr, of the famous safari firm Kerr, Downey indicated Lord Delamere had hired Alan Black to accompany him on his hunting adventures and a Somali hunter to hunt meat for his employees. To differentiate between Black, his sporting employee, and a black hunter he hired to hunt for the help, he called Black his white hunter. Be that as it may, in these days the term White Hunter is politically incorrect.

Comment

Bubba,
                Brian Herne, in his book White Hunters spends a few pages attempting to explain where the term came from. He claims Donald Kerr, of the famous safari firm Kerr, Downey indicated Lord Delamere had hired Alan Black to accompany him on his hunting adventures and a Somali hunter to hunt meat for his employees. To differentiate between Black, his sporting employee, and a black hunter he hired to hunt for the help, he called Black his white hunter. Be that as it may, in these days the term White Hunter is politically incorrect.

Comment

Actually, an article on various country standards for qualifications to be a professional hunter would be interesting. If there has been one, I have not seen it.

Comment

H. Myles

Read "Professional Hunters For A Changing Africa" by Terry Cacek (Llumina Press) ©2004.

I think you'll find it quite interesting. I did!

...and to you, Best Regards!

Bubba

Comment

Thank you Bubba, I will buy it!

Comment

This link is to Wikipedia and a interesting historical perspective if early 19th and 20th Century White Hunters in Africa. Hunters, Authors and their works are listed.

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hunter

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                          by DakotaMan
                          He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                          Today, 02:11 PM
                        • Another New Upper
                          by DakotaMan
                          Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                          Today, 12:54 PM
                        • Reply to Another New Upper
                          by PigHunter
                          That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                          Today, 02:05 PM
                        • Reply to 16 Years
                          by PigHunter
                          You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                          Today, 02:00 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X