Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have two questions, This upcoming year I've found a new area, where I beleive its going to be my honey hole. Problem is I have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have two questions, This upcoming year I've found a new area, where I beleive its going to be my honey hole. Problem is I have

I have two questions, This upcoming year I've found a new area, where I beleive its going to be my honey hole. Problem is I have two ladder stands and a climber. I want my climber free and I don't want to have to carry it in to this spot alot, because its a long walk. One of my ladder stands is a very nice like lounge style stand, I could sit all day in it. My problem is, I don't really trust it for bowhunting. I've never bowhunted out of a ladder stand, I've only used rifle while sitting in one. Anyone had success doing this and believe it has confidence? Also, This spot I want to use during bow month, but also at the peak of the rut, So I want to keep it fresh. How much should I hunt the area but still be able to keep it fresh and not have the deer catch on to me being in there, I have plenty of other spots but I just am VERY excited for this one area, So I just wanted a personal opinuion on how much an area should be hunted? Thanks guys!

Don't like to bowhunt out of a ladder stand, don't feel hidden enough. Get a cheap lock-on and leave it in the area. In my opinion you can continue to hunt the area as long as you are smart with scent control. Don't hunt with a bad wind and use rubber boots and cover scents to hide your trek in and out. Also be careful if it is an area where deer are moving before first light or right after dark. Once you bump the deer heading in or out of the area the game is over.

Comment

I think you should get a cheap hang-on style stand for your honey-hole and probably only hunt it about once a week.

Comment

If your bow season is a month, hunt it twice a week, in optimal wind conditions.

Comment

So a NO on the ladder stand huh?

Thats hard to take down, But I guess I can scrounge up some money.

Comment

I've bow hunted from ladder stands(compound/crossbow) and if your worried about it cut some cover from the area to break up ladder and you.
            As for how often, if your good about scent control.
            Play the wind, hunt a day or two, let sit a couple then hunt again.
            Good luck and good hunting this fall.

Comment

I shot two from a ladder stand last year inside of 10 yards and have no worry in using one. My brothers and I have taken dozens from ladder stands. We do try to position them where natural vegitation will cover a little of the ladder if possible. They were no more wary of the ladder than of anything else in the forest. Watch your scent though; whether you are putting scent on a ladder or a tree, they will pick up on it.

Comment

If you are careful, it should not be a problem to slip in there a few times before the peak rut. If you were to spook them though I would lay-off totally until the prime time you wanted to hunt. Watch your wind direction, use all your precautions like scent free detergents soaps and such and slip in there and observe a bit. Take good binos to really check things out without having to wander all over the place. You may be able to scope out the perfect location for a lock-on stand.

Comment

Well I've decided to use the ladder stand because I can't afford another stand. As far as scentcontrol I'm good at that. I just wanted to know about how often to hunt a stand....

Comment

I have two ladders, climber and two pop up tents. I’ve found the pop up called the Dog House works fantastic. Deer have learned to look up into the trees and my larger pop up able to stand up in catches there eye if not concealed enough. The Dog House is just small enough to blend in, but you must make a choice on the type of terrain you’re in. Do you need to be high to see into the brush or do you have the ability to hunt on the ground with a pop up?

Comment

I would bow hunt on the ladder stand!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad