Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on here likes shooting a .30-30 Win. Because today was the first time I shot one, and to be frank, it was kind of boring bec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I believe you are right ozark. Their was a 12 gauge pump and Frank Hamer used a 35 caliber Autoloader and a Colt 38 super pistol.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I believe you are right ozark. Their was a 12 gauge pump and Frank Hamer used a 35 caliber Autoloader and a Colt 38 super pistol.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Carl Huber, I think that some of the lawmen that ambushed Bonnie and Clyde were armed with .30-30 lever actions? Not entirely for sure but I seem to remember pics of them holding the arms they used at the time. Also there was the BAR, which was also one of Clyde's favorite weapons.

Leave a comment:

• Bioguy01
    replied
    Love my .30-30...don't get enough chances to use it though.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    I guess the reason most of us like this cartridge so much is the longevity and application. I might be wrong but the Model 94 was a contender years ago as a military arm. It was also the go to rifle in many a Police car. Let's not forget John Wayne and every good or bad guy in Hollywood. It has also feed countless families. Most of all it is a functional object that is older than me. A list that is slowly shrinking.

PS; Pain will lead to flinching. &. There is no flinching in Marksmanship!

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    There's a reason why the .30-30 has survived as a popular cartridge for so many years. Part of it is the rifles/carbines that are chambered for it, but it's also fun to handload for the cartridge. My Winchester Model 94 BELONGS in my truck.

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    The .30-30, as others have said, is the ideal deer rifle for white tail deer in the eastern US. Why punish yourself with recoil that will one day come back to haunt you in the form of shoulder pain and joint problems? If the .30-30 has less kick and does the job why go to a higher powered rifle that kicks more? And if you're hunting in woodlands and not in wide open plains why go with something that has extra range that will never be used? Use the tool appropriate for the job at hand.

Leave a comment:

• .30-06Hunter
    replied
    I love my .30-30 Winchester model 94 I have only killed two boar with it. I switched to a bolt action .30-06 but plan to take the .30-30 back to the woods one day. As for recoil I don't fin it fun but is kinda like being punched in the boxing ring it's part of the sport and you just learn to roll with it.

Leave a comment:

• RJ Arena
    replied
    Try a 45-70, I love mine, and would never go back to my 30-30!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If you want more "kick", try shooting it off your nose.

Leave a comment:

• WILLHAM48
    replied
    If you want some kick, and a 30-30, try a Winchester 64. I have one and it kicks more than all of my guns, including two 30-06's, three .50 caliber muzzleloaders. My single shot 12 gauge kicks less with 00 buck, and it weighs somewhere around 5 pounds.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    Whoa guys. Let's just hit the rewind button here for a sec. I think the 30-30 is fine for short to medium range deer hunting. I was justy saying I like some kick.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    Whoa guys. Let's just hit the rewind button here for a sec. I think the 30-30 is fine for short to medium range deer hunting. I was justy saying I like some kick.

Leave a comment:

• Carl Huber
    replied
    30-30 as far as Deer go if it ain't broke don't fix it is THE cartridge.

Leave a comment:

• kolbster
    replied
    +1 for jimbo, must not take much to get me excited usually hearing a bag of popcorn in the microwave is enough to make me want to go shoot something. if every rifle i hunted with had the recoil of a 22 it wouldnt hurt my feelings. a 30-30 has probably killed more eastern whitetail deer than any other rifle known to man.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad