Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on here likes shooting a .30-30 Win. Because today was the first time I shot one, and to be frank, it was kind of boring bec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who on here likes shooting a .30-30 Win. Because today was the first time I shot one, and to be frank, it was kind of boring bec

Who on here likes shooting a .30-30 Win. Because today was the first time I shot one, and to be frank, it was kind of boring because, it may sound crazy, but I like a bit more recoil. Like a .30-06

I've taken lots of game with a .30-30 Win.
    I can remember as a kid seeing other guys with scoped bolt guns while I was toting a Marlin lever gun with iron sights!
    But boring!?
    I even find a .22LR exciting!
    Burning gun powder is exciting!

Comment

Well it was fun to shoot, but I guess you're right Bubba, Texans like recoil and noise.

Comment

Some Texicans might M.A.T, but this one don't.
        Recoil is a necessary evil! My main "deer" rifle is a .270 Win.. While I don't consider it's recoil "heavy" by any means, it's not a powder puff either.
        There is absolutely no reason to shoot "mag" calibers to kill whitetails.

Comment

The 30-30 is adequate for eastern white tail deer up to 150+ yards if using the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo. Pointed poly tip bullet.
          The 30-06 is in fact over powered for deer. It became popular because so many soldiers used it in the army and there were so many surplus rifles available for it - not because it is the perfect cartridge for deer.
          Today the extra power of the 30-06 has been thought of to extend the effective shooting range for deer, if the shooter does his part.
          As for recoil, that depends on the weight of the rifle and bullet. My Winchester '94 30-30 will let you know you fired it, but a heavy 10 lb 30-06 may net even bother you. Depends.

Comment

Good comment, jimbo. You summed that up well.

Comment

+1 for jimbo, must not take much to get me excited usually hearing a bag of popcorn in the microwave is enough to make me want to go shoot something. if every rifle i hunted with had the recoil of a 22 it wouldnt hurt my feelings. a 30-30 has probably killed more eastern whitetail deer than any other rifle known to man.

Comment

30-30 as far as Deer go if it ain't broke don't fix it is THE cartridge.

Comment

Whoa guys. Let's just hit the rewind button here for a sec. I think the 30-30 is fine for short to medium range deer hunting. I was justy saying I like some kick.

Comment

Whoa guys. Let's just hit the rewind button here for a sec. I think the 30-30 is fine for short to medium range deer hunting. I was justy saying I like some kick.

Comment

If you want some kick, and a 30-30, try a Winchester 64. I have one and it kicks more than all of my guns, including two 30-06's, three .50 caliber muzzleloaders. My single shot 12 gauge kicks less with 00 buck, and it weighs somewhere around 5 pounds.

Comment

If you want more "kick", try shooting it off your nose.

Comment

Try a 45-70, I love mine, and would never go back to my 30-30!

Comment

I love my .30-30 Winchester model 94 I have only killed two boar with it. I switched to a bolt action .30-06 but plan to take the .30-30 back to the woods one day. As for recoil I don't fin it fun but is kinda like being punched in the boxing ring it's part of the sport and you just learn to roll with it.

Comment

The .30-30, as others have said, is the ideal deer rifle for white tail deer in the eastern US. Why punish yourself with recoil that will one day come back to haunt you in the form of shoulder pain and joint problems? If the .30-30 has less kick and does the job why go to a higher powered rifle that kicks more? And if you're hunting in woodlands and not in wide open plains why go with something that has extra range that will never be used? Use the tool appropriate for the job at hand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad