Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other than crowbars and dynamite to get them away from the video games, anyone have any ideas to inspire my 9 yr old son to give

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other than crowbars and dynamite to get them away from the video games, anyone have any ideas to inspire my 9 yr old son to give

Other than crowbars and dynamite to get them away from the video games, anyone have any ideas to inspire my 9 yr old son to give fishing and hunting a try. He currently has 0 interest in it.

get him into shooting, whether gun or bow, and maybe that will lead to wanting to hunt. most boys would like to shoot. I wouldn't get him a bow just yet since it is so hard to shoot when you're first starting out.
    for fishing, try serving fish for dinner sometime, and ask him if he wants to help catch more.

Comment

Would he try a hunt or fish game on the computer?
      If not, I would put a daily hour limit on game and computer use other than school work.

Comment

I would encourage him to handle your guns, which most boys would love to do. That could lead to actual shooting and gradually to hunting.

Comment

I agree with trying to find a game to play. Or if he has any friends that like to hunt or fish have them come. Taking the kid shooting weather its a gun or bow should also help. My son had no interest in hunting until he saw his first buck from the hunting blind. Now he wants to go all the time. So maybe all he needs is that first fish or first buck. Good luck with it.

Comment

By all means don't force or coerce him into going out with you to the lake or woods. If he thinks it is his idea then it will go over much better. Invite some one his age to go with you hunting/fishing and talk about how much fun he would have if he goes with the both of you. Make sure his first experience fishing you catch some fish, even if you don't catch any keepers. Watch hunting/fishing shows on TV with him so he can see how exciting it can be.

Comment

Kids depending their age will feed off of our excitement. If your excited and goofing and being fun chances are your kid will be having fun. Making it fun and not complicated and technical is a big part of a kid wanting to do it again or not. Getting them out there with a good attitude about it can be the hardest part. Obviously getting mad and frustrated is the worst thing you can do. Most kids have a natural attraction to fishing, and bluegills and other pan fish are everywhere and easy to catch. Shooting can lead to hunting. Even if it's a pellet gun in the back yard. Just shooting targets can be a little dull for kids. With my nephew, I found a bag of plastic army men at the dollar store and set them up in my yard on my picnic table a chairs and random places(strategically placed with backstops)and let him find and shoot them with my old Red Ryder bb gun and He had a blast.

Comment

Don't YOU hafta buy that stuff for them?
                It also has:
                Off switch
                Chargers.
                Turn it off, hide the charger, throw the stupid thing away!
                If you can't "manage" the resulting "fit", YOU need help, not the kid!

Comment

Wittsec- Is your son hyper and might want to go on a bird hunt or deer drive where he can stay moving and warm? Or maybe he is a little sluggish and might complain about the cold easily? Either way it seems you have to tailor to his needs To keep him entertained. If he's lazy, very warm clothes and a comfy chair could make all the difference. The hope is that he will get the same thrill we get, given the opportunity

Comment

Lots of good answers to try here.I know I say that a lot, but we have a pretty good bunch here. As a father of 4, I do not recommend the ''cold turkey method'', unless of course, you have a power outage. Time limits work well, and if they stay busy doing something else; even better. Busting up clay birds with a shotgun (flying or stationary)is always fun. I don't want any game playing on the ride to hunting and/or shooting, because I want my son to think about (and talk about) what we are going to do. I also like to have my kids help me(not always, of course) clean any fish or game we kill. Sometimes that's tough with my youngest (6) firing off a dozen questions every second. Try to fry it up that day for them, it's fun and keeps them involved. Don't let their game or fish sit in the freezer.

Comment

I grew up in an age where if you used digit-al adding and the numbers got bigger than ten, you had to take your shoes off. We played our games with marbles and jaxs. Televisions (if you were lucky enough to have one) were black and white and often at my house only NBC came in good. So the Gillette Friday night Fights or the Sunday Colgate Comedy hour were about all you saw. Of course, I along with the rest of the world around me still survived without all the electronic devices which our youth of today has. That fact seems to suggest that our youth can also survive without them too. In my personal case, my father "forced" me to go fishing with him from the time I could sit in the boat with him. I was still wearing three cornered pants and in effect he was just babysitting without having to give up his fishing. I learned to hate fishing and vowed that when I was old enough to tell my father so, I would never fish again. But fate stepped in and the knowledge I learned from my father while fishing allowed me at one time to earn a living for my family. Unfortunately even though I had what most would consider a dream job by getting paid to bass fish, I still did not enjoy it because of the stigma from my father's "forcing" me to fish before I was ready to accept it. I still, many years later, fish but I do not get the enjoyment out of it like most people do. It became a job for me and I still tackle it like work, not fun. So what ever you do, try not to force your son into hunting or fishing. If you do take him, make it like a game to enjoy. For example if you take him fishing, have a challenge as to who catches the first fish, then the biggest etc. Set a prize for the results making sure that it is something that your son desires and then make sure that your son wins!!!! Then he has bragging rights and will want to go again.

PS, Once I fished for over two hours without any bait on my hook waiting for my youngest daughter's son to catch the first fish of the day. We were bream fishing using red wigglers and he finally caught a bluegill about 1.5 inches long. That was his first fish ever and it was like a whale to him. Now he says, "grandpaw when are you ready for me to beat you again fishing?"

Comment

A nephew showed some interest in deer hunting so I took him when he was about 12. I had a nice spot on top of a hill, 300yds by 150yds, flat top of the hill.. My tree stand was at one end. So I told him to go along one side and zig zag back toward me and NOT to go down hill at any time. Did not want him to get lost. So he took off and about 1/2 hour later, here he comes, crashing through the brush, chasing a deer and yelling to me as loud as he could that he found one. I laughed so hard I almost pee my pants.
                        He has turned out to be an excellent hunter and trapper. He likes to still hunt and a lot of times he will take a bed roll and sleep out in the woods.

Comment

I would like to thank you all for your help with this. I would also like to say that I may have been a little unfair to my son in my original remark. He has just gotten his black belt in karate and is very dedicated and focused to his sport. I couldn't be prouder of his efforts and achievments in this. With all this said, it is an indoor sport and much of my frustrations come from trying to get him outside. I have gotten some great tips here and I appreciate your time in responding.

Comment

I would like to thank you all for your help with this. I would also like to say that I may have been a little unfair to my son in my original remark. He has just gotten his black belt in karate and is very dedicated and focused to his sport. I couldn't be prouder of his efforts and achievments in this. With all this said, it is an indoor sport and much of my frustrations come from trying to get him outside. I have gotten some great tips here and I appreciate your time in responding.

Comment

Get him watching some great fast paced hunting shows when the guys or girls are having a blast and really show it, he may get hooked. Then when he get interested take him hunting for small game, pick a really good day for squirrels and bag a few. Maybe take him to a gun shop for his birthday or Christmas and find him a gun. He may not like to hunt or fish now but after shooting with you he may give it a try. Work him in easy if he feels pressured he may get mad and give up. Make it almost to easy and praise him on how good of a shot or wow he's a great fisherman and he will hopefully come around and beg to go out every weekend.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                                by franchi20
                                I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors to the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of...
                                Today, 07:40 PM
                              • Debate #2: new rules
                                by FirstBubba
                                New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                                The "Biden Campaign"!...
                                10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                              • Reply to What's after Trump?
                                by franchi20
                                Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                                Today, 07:34 PM
                              • What's after Trump?
                                by FirstBubba
                                No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                                There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                                Today, 01:46 PM
                              • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                                by fitch270
                                The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                                Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X