Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Halloween my brothers and I will pick up all the whole pumpkins that people thrown out in their trash. We smash up the pum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Halloween my brothers and I will pick up all the whole pumpkins that people thrown out in their trash. We smash up the pum

After Halloween my brothers and I will pick up all the whole pumpkins that people thrown out in their trash. We smash up the pumpkins with a machete or a hatchet at the bait pile so the deer can eat them. It is legal to bait deer in New Jersey. We also pick up discarded artificial green Christmas trees. We use the Christmas tree branches to camouflage our deer stands and they stay green all year round. My younger brother found a lock-on metal tree stand in the trash. My older brother found a big old ten point buck head mount in the trash. He cut the antlers off for rattling bucks. Does anybody else on this site trash pick and have you ever found anything good worth sharing.

I found a Damascus SxS barrels in a dumpster! so I jumped in looking for the rest of the shot gun and found the action no stock or fore-end, it was a plane jane Charles Daly Sn# 9970=No value and some one only wanted the Wood my Guess???

Comment

One mans trash is another mans treasure

Comment

If anybody is too mortified to write they trash picked, did you ever get buy anything good at a "yard sale" that was good dealing with hunting, fishing, trapping, camping or anything related to the great outdoors.

Comment

Just a few of the items plucked from the back of a garbage truck:
          1. Diamond earrings
          2. Colt .38 Police Positive (broken hammer nose)
          3. "Jack Dempsey" autograph
          4. Hawthorne hunting knife complete w/sheath
          5. $40 in cash
          6. Gold teeth (dental gold)
          7. Untold "sterling silver" pieces (jewelry and tableware)
          8. 1923 silver dollar
          9. One box Remington Kleenbore (old green and red box) .35 Rem ammo. Unfired!
          10. One box .375 H&H brass in yellow Winchester Super X box
          etc., etc.......

Yep! Folks toss all kinds of stuff!

Comment

WOW!
            After reading Bubba's comment, I may get a job on a trash truck.

Comment

I don't think it's worth it to go dumpster diving in the back of a garbage truck. I'll stop at a yard sale every now and then to see if they have anything old and nice. I usually pick up a few old lures and then put them in a shadow box to hang in the man cave. Never found anything worth more than a few dollars.

Comment

I'm all in with garage sales. I've made quite a few good purchases. Got a set of nike irons in a nike bag for $35, they were a year old, the bag alone 100+. Guys son moved and left them behind. That was super lucky. Being in NY, hunting yard sale finds are pretty rare. I've never done the dumpster diving. That seems like a world I won't get into.

Comment

My brother and I had breakfast together at a local diner before putting out our bear baits.
                  The diner was pretty empty being early morning.

We asked our waitress to have the cook come out to talk to us since they were not that busy.
                  After we complemented the cook on his great breakfast, we asked him do you have anything good out in the dumpster or the trash. We feeding the bears and taking photos with are trail cameras. I showed the cook a couple bear photos with cubs. He was amazed that we got pictures were that close. He said help yourself and I just throw out bags of rolls this morning.

We drove around back to the large dumpster and found a large cooked pizza from the night before still sitting in the pizza box, two big trash bags of torpedo rolls, a large ham still cover in the clear package and clear bags of raw clams.

Bon Appetit for the Bears!

Comment

I use pumpkins and leftovers in front of my trail cams. Rolls and bagels too. Deer seem to love rice. no bear photos yet in S.Jersey but I hear rumors.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad