Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering, for big game hunting do you guys prefer .300 Win Mags or .338 Win Mags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    For Alaskan big game, the .338 is nice. In the lower 48, I prefer the .300 Winny because of less recoil and plenty of power for anything you will meet.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    I have both and prefer the .300wm. As mentioned above, if dealing with dangerous game I would take the .338wm.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I vote for 300 Win Mag, Its the most used Caliber in this Country and Over Seas.It ties sales of the Rem 7mm/Rem-Mag.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Have taken lots of game all over North America and Africa with both calibers. Some in Asia too. They are both great. Use 180 or 200 grain in 300 Win Mag and 250 in 338. Cannot tell much difference in killing power on similar animals, but guess if staring down my sights at dangerous game like big cats or bears, would prefer the 338. Having said that, find myself reaching most often for the 300. A little less recoil and flatter shooting.

Leave a comment:

• Happy Myles
    replied
    Have taken lots of game all over North America and Africa with both calibers. Some in Asia too. They are both great. Use 180 or 200 grain in 300 Win Mag and 250 in 338. Cannot tell much difference in killing power on similar animals, but guess if staring down my sights at dangerous game like big cats or bears, would prefer the 338. Having said that, find myself reaching most often for the 300. A little less recoil and flatter shooting.

Leave a comment:

• M.A.T
    replied
    I don't think the .338 Win. Mag. is needed unless you're hunting big Alaska moose where there's lots of Grizzlies so I think you should just go with the .300 Win. Mag. because of extra recoil and extra ammo cost.

Leave a comment:

• Just wondering, for big game hunting do you guys prefer .300 Win Mags or .338 Win Mags?

Just wondering, for big game hunting do you guys prefer .300 Win Mags or .338 Win Mags?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad