Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your most and least favorite cut of wild meat? Fish included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    How could I forget about rabbit. As jhjimbo said. A rabbit stew for me traditional hasenphefer is hard to beat especially on a cold winter night with a good stout. I usually only eat it a couple times a year so it's always a treat, where as venison is in my freezer year round and while I absolutely love venison it starts to lose it's luster when it's always there.

Leave a comment:

• ITHACASXS
    replied
    I made some deer shanks (young deer, I thought they would be good) that stunk up the house and tasted worse. As always, I was very careful cleaning and skinning this deer. This was the worst, that and deer liver (I'll try the liver every 10 years or so, just to make sure). OH, I too, love the legs of game birds and I hate when I hear hunters tossing them out.Walleye you say?? Right now, I'm waiting for my older brother to come back from Northern Ontario with some walleye & perch for dear old me.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Perch and walleye are right up there for fish. King salmon, when I can get some, is outstanding.
    Deer has to be the tenderloins and back strap.
    Squirrel or rabbit stew on a cold winters night is a extra treat.

Leave a comment:

• 1Browning2
    replied
    Back straps off a deer. Butterflied, marinated in Italian dressing, cream cheese and mango chutney on the inside. Wrapped in bacon and grilled. And northern is my favorite fish. Even over walleye. I have to say pheasant is my least favorite.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    And remember a salmon is not just a salmon. Pink salmon should only be cooked on the grill in my opinion. Way too oily and too often soft. Even when BBQed they are iffy. Dog salmon should be fed to the dogs as the name implies. Sometimes called chum salmon. They are the worst eating salmon. Sockeye is outstanding, for sure the best eating of all the salmonidae family. Baked, BBQed, canned, whatever, they are delicious!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Jay
    Try salmon one more time.
    Marinate overnight in teriyaki marinade.
    Get you grill hot with charcoal.
    Place salmon skin side down on a sheet of foil.
    Once it's done through, lift the salmon off the foil leaving the skin behind.
    Gently turn salmon skin side up and remove the fat.
    Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Surprised I am the first to say it but walleye takes all comers for fish ... and just about any other wild meat. Ruff grouse ("partridge" up here) is a close second.

I am working on another pot of goose jerky done up with a spicy recipe from Ducks Unlimited website. I use apple and lilac for smoking chips. It's pretty hard to beat!

My least favorite wild meat is also goose. The "finger" of isolated meat that lays against the breastbone keel is usually the sweet meat on most birds but for geese it's EXTREMELY gamey. Too bad because it's very tender. As far as flavor goes, the thighs are probably the best meat on a goose. But they are a bit gristly. It's a shame most guys throw the thighs away.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    My favorite is crappie in a simple cornflour, flour, salt and pepper breading and deep fried. I like the tenderloin from any animal, fried in a skillet of real butter and Nick's Seasoning. Least fav animal is duck. Least fav fish would be salmon.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    My favorite is fresh deer tenderloins.
    I also love the hot and sweet deer or bear sausage.

I dislike spending so much time on blue claw crabs and getting so little crab meat for all the effort.
    Give me the Alaskan king crab with butter instead.

Leave a comment:

• themadflyfisher
    replied
    Favorite cut of a deer, back strap least favorite cut probably the neck.

Leave a comment:

• Montana
    replied
    My personal favorite is deer or elk tenderloins, fried in butter, in a cast iron skillet over a turkey cooker in the meat shack. I, like Sarge, do not care for ducks or geese.

Leave a comment:

• santa
    replied
    Talking fish, my favorite is a mullet gizzard and my least favorite is the strong dark meat along the lateral line. On deer, the inner loin and liver are my favorite while I do not care for the kidneys at all. As far as water fowl, I like all the innards such as the liver, gizzard, and heart and the whole bird around them except for the feet and feathers. I like feral hogs from the rooter to the tooter. From pickled snout, feet and tail to rendered lard and cracklins. From souse to bacon and ham. From neck bones and rice to pulled pork sandwiches. From BBQ ribs to pork roast with taters and carrots. Even the pig intestines make good sausage casing and chitlin's (chitterlings for those of you up north). The bones boil up and make a good stock, then get ground up to make bone meal for feeding fish. Why even fried pork skin is darn good to eat while watching Alabama play football. And last but not least, even the scraps from the skin make darn good fishing fishing lures.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Tenderloin.
    Cubed. Fried just until brown.
    Smother with gravy, onions and cubed potatoes.
    Serve over the wife's hot, buttered home made biscuits.

My dad absolutely LOVED fried buffalo (the fish) ribs!
    I'd rather not have to experience that again!

Leave a comment:

• Sarge01
    replied
    My wife's favorite cut is wild turkey breast sliced, pounded, rolled in flour and fried in butter. Mine is the inner loin of a whitetail deer rolled in Bass Pro beer batter seasoning and fried in olive oil. My least favorite is any duck or goose.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Most favorite is the inner loin of any ungulate. Least favorite would be any cut from a carcass that was not properly handled or in a timely fashion.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
    by rock rat
    Or has someone write it. It seems most book deals only net a few million. I think the Obamas got in the single millions.

We don't know what...
    Today, 09:58 PM
  • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
    by rock rat
    Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
    Yesterday, 06:29 PM
  • Reply to Big Green
    by FirstBubba
    Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
    Today, 09:49 PM
  • Big Green
    by FirstBubba
    Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
    Today, 10:05 AM
  • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
    by rock rat
    OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
    Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X