Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been exploring the idea of getting a new camper,AKA travel trailer, and have been finding very few on the market that meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been exploring the idea of getting a new camper,AKA travel trailer, and have been finding very few on the market that meet

I've been exploring the idea of getting a new camper,AKA travel trailer, and have been finding very few on the market that meet my needs. It is just the two of us and 90% of the time we "dry camp" i.e.; have no hook-ups in state improved campsites or in national forest. So, we have no need of or use for microwave ovens or air conditioners unless we can find a current bush to plug into. What we need is a small 18'-20' travel trailer with LP range and oven, self contained, that will sleep two and operates on LP and 12V without need of 110 VAC. Any suggestions?

I like the toy haulers. My buddy has one with kitchen and bath. It's a little less comfortable but if you want to haul an ATV you have that option.

Comment

Ah toured the West and lived in travel trailers for 18 years.

Spent the last 6 years inna Airstream.

Hard to beat.

Gas heat and water heaters are killers.

For health, comfort, and safety issues, don't try to be too tough and not include electricity azza option.

Camping is very dangerous these days, with all the freed felons and small-fry criminals.

Never leave home without it.

Comment

I have been looking for exactly the same thing to situate myself and my dogs when in Montana so I don't have to live at my friend's place for six weeks at a time. They love to have me and I get along great with them but one can wear out welcome even with the best of friends. His daughter has a lot in town with sewer and putting in power would be no problem. City by-laws are okay with it as long as it doesn't stay in one place for more than six weeks. Neighbors are very okay as the empty lot would be cleaned up and maintained.

What makes finding a camper hard over in that country is the oil patch insanity. Everything is being gobbled up by poor devils seeking their dreams in the boom communities that have no housing. Well, not any that's affordable.

Comment

Hey SD!
          Long time, no see! You and the missus doing okay?
          How's the hunting?

Most "campers" are self contained and I don't know that I've ever seen one with an electric stove.
          Just because it has a microwave doesn't mean you have to use it and it'll bring more if it has some extras if you ever wanted to sell.

Comment

SD

Ever consider a flat bed trailer and build your own?

Comment

Bubba, We're doing fine and hunting just started. What I'm finding is that a microwave that I can't use has taken the place of what used be a common gas oven. Most trailers have a two burner gas cook top without oven and then a microwave where a storage cabinet should be. I have no use for the microwave but there is never enough storage space. Even on those rare instances where I have electric hook up, ever try to bake sourdough biscuits in a micro wave? Actually I have toyed with the idea of building my own design.

Comment

Bayouwoof, I've looked at some 19' airstream. They are the Caddys of the camper world but they sure are proud of them. I paid less than that for the truck I'd use to pull it.

Comment

We took an 18' enclosed trailer and converted it into our cook shack for elk camp. Ours has a gas range, gas griddle, and a gas refrigerator. I'm certain you could do something similar and make a very functional camper. Build it just the way you want it to suit your needs.

Comment

My father did similar to Montana- a 21 ft jobsite trailer, built with bunks in the front that doubled as tool storage, and a mobile "camping kitchen" for outside. A propane heater with the roof vents open, and a card table for dinner. Many a moose were killed during it's use in Northern Maine.

On another note, my employer owns an oil field services company, who's traveling office is a 20 ft bumper pull camper that has been gutted, other than the A/c. It was purchased from an auction for pennies on the dollar, but would make an awesome DIY camper. Just a thought, but you might stay on the look out for something similar. Also, they are considering a permanent office at our old scale house. if your interested I could find out whats to be done with the camper?

Comment

I had considered a DIY conversion of an enclosed cargo trailer, but I like P-W-H's idea of remodeling a second hand and cheap travel trailer to suit my non-RV park needs. Thanks guys.

Comment

I have a 23' Jayco and it works out fine for two. It has a microwave but I use it to keep bread. The stove does have a oven. Everything gas but the lights and A/C. I have a 12v deep cycle for the lights and don't use the A/C. I got rid of my 32' as it was too hard to pull.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad