Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you guys say that a 7.5 inch barrel on a .44 mag is too much barrel to have in the field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I like my Ruger Redhawk with its 7 1/2" barrel. Nice sight radius and a little more burn time to get that bullet moving.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    My S&W Model 29 Classic Hunter has a 6" barrel and it is well suited to deer hunting. Practice is the key to shooting the .44mag well. I am comfortable with shots up to 100yds. I use Blue Dot and a 240gr hard cast bullet - they don't go far when hit with that.

Regarding long shots: I saw a trick shooter on TV shoot a .45acp at some ungodly distance, maybe 200yds. It might have been Mulden? Must have had a trajectory like a rainbow.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Dallas, to answer the second half of this question which was recently published in DEP's magazine column:

Contrary to what Petzal might tell you, beards are MOST itchy when they are cut close. The current trend of scroungy-looking ten day growth never ceases to amaze me. A beard at that length is a pain ... every time you touch it! The longer the beard, the more comfortable it becomes, provided it is kept clean and doesn't get caught on stuff (like coat zippers ... yowch!).

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Bubba, I had the pleasure of having lunch with Elmer Keith many years ago. He was a little man very full of himself. And some other stuff as well. Never read the article however I doubt anyone but Keith saw that 425 yard shot. And I think there's only a slim chance even he saw it.

Dallas, don't get too worked up about Blackdawgz. He has diabetes issues that affect his judgment from time to time. Well, that's one way of explaining it I guess. The world is full of racists and sexists and homophobes. A good Christian won't be any of those but I am always amazed at how many self-professed "good Christians" are, especially those who lean heavily towards the right.

Leave a comment:

• Edward J. Palumbo
    replied
    I'm another enthusiastic fan of the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter, and it's equipped with a 7.5" barrel. One of my T-C Contender accessory barrels was a 14" heavy barrel in .41 Magnum, and it was exceptionally accurate. I did not have a holster for it; I carried it in a padded case, but that was appropriate for the very deliberate way I used it.
    No, I don't think 7.5" is too long for a field/hunting handgun.

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    DAW -

Ah'll show ye how to handle someone like yercef.

Now pay careful attention:

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Catfight!

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    [Blank]

Leave a comment:

• Grassroots89
    replied
    [Blank]

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Sir E. Keith claimed to have killed a mulie buck at like 425 yards with a 4" M29!
    Wasn't there!
    Didn't see it!
    It was a magazine article!

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    Skeeter Skelton's favorite hunting handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum with a 7 1/2" barrel.

Leave a comment:

• Clay Cooper
    replied
    I've shot 44's at variance of lengths and I prefer the 7 1/5. Any shorter and it really gets loud including lower velocities.

21.0 grains of 2400 behind a 255 Keith Cast works fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Hmmm. Someone needs to check his blood sugar level.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Too much barrel. And too much gun.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    what kind of animal do you think you need a .44 in self defense?

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad