Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's that "Pound" of Venison going to Cost you this season?? Time off the job,All new Equipment, Hunting Lic,Gas to and from,l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tleichty1989
    replied
    Its going to cost a lot more than buying an entire cow.

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I'm not buying any nonessentials this year, but still I'll have a couple hundred in license and permits, new broadheads, not to mention a couple days off work and a little for the sausagemaker and freezerbags. All told I'll be well into four figures. Hopefully I'll have a freezerfull to show for it.

Leave a comment:

• Drover1
    replied
    Not much in my case. I hunt private land near home with no lease or fees. I’m paid for vacation days. I’ll buy a box of ammo and probably take 10 shots at the range to make sure my scope is dialed in. I’ll probably do my own game processing. I have all the supplies and equipment I need, although I suppose I could amortize all those costs over the years. I don’t count food costs since I’d still be eating if I stayed home and worked or watched football. About my only direct cost this year will be fuel and wear on my vehicle, which won’t add up to much. Oh, and licenses of course. I have resident tags for deer, elk and antelope, which cost me about $120.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Honk
    I've always been able to walk, just not extended distances.
    Losing that 10 pounds was a big help too! Need to drop 15 or 20 more. I'd be back to high school weight! LOL!
    If I walk at a sensible speed and rest often, I do quite well. It's when I stand on these ragged ol feet a long time that they begin to bark.
    I'm good for about a half mile before resting.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Home from another $15 trip to the fields this morning. Four geese in eight shots (last one soaked up three rounds). The price of meat is dropping!

Leave a comment:

• buckeye
    replied
    This is the first year I didn't buy any new equipment. Hunting shouldn't cost me anything this year. I hunt my own land, and shouldn't even have to spend money on gass to get there. One of my buddies usually does the driving if I let himm come down with me. Havent had to buy any ammo in several years now.

Leave a comment:

• hengst
    replied
    Does the price of bow seasons 2 weeks of unsuccesfull mountain humping roll into the hopefully better results coming up for 2nd rifle season 1 cow elk and 2 muley tags?

I spent about 1600 on gas for that mess. Pulling a trailer over mountain passes, coming back for 1 wk of work, going back and then coming back home for a job interview then back up sure adds up. BTW got the job and will be making a good deal of money more (as long as background investigation checks out...it should)
    Either way I will have to stick with WAM on this one....bet rest assured I have been given an ultimatum and I had better come back with a few hundred pounds of meat one way or another lol

Leave a comment:

• ALJoe
    replied
    I would be afraid to actually sit down and figure up the cost. Let's just say a new truck wouldn't be a problem if hunting was taken out of the equation.

Leave a comment:

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it may incriminate me. Especially if the spousal unit reads it....

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    Montana combined elk/deer tag $1100
    Fuel (towing horses) $1000
    New gear for camping $300
    Bullets/powder etc. for practice $400 (I'll be exceptionally fortunate if I get a shot and two bullets should be the most I use)
    Horse feed $200
    New scope $775
    New range finder $420
    That's almost $4200 for my bucket list hunt and it will certainly cost more if I get something and have to have it processed and packed back home. If I get a deer or an elk, I'll have to buy a freezer too. I'm not counting the shooting range cost nor the backup rifle I bought because those are used in other endeavors. Deer meat is not cheap. I will note that when I lived in South Dakota the total cost of a deer was $7.50 for a license and 25 cents for a bullet.

Leave a comment:

• IND_NRA
    replied
    Time off $0
    license $0 (land owners tags)
    Processing $0 (all done in house)
    Gas $150 (four wheeler)
    Accessories$149 (new Nikon scope)
    ammo $30-50 (got 10 deer used 10 .458 socom shells)

Most of my hunting is on my property and i process my on deer. One of my main costs is having to buy the wife something to keep her happy when I spend all week in the woods!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Time off $0
    License $10
    Deer tag $12(1 deer so far,can get six)
    Clothes $0
    Accessories $25
    Ammo $5
    Food $200
    Gas $415 (4-5 trips)
    Processing $60
    Misc $50 (propane,coleman fuel,feed blocks,apples)

Aprx $800 (70lbs venison/ $11.50 per lb.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Oh, oh! Correction. Looks like just over one box used. I see the second box with most of its contents is on the floor of the Jimmy. Besides the first box purchased before season I also had a few shells left from last year. That reduces goose meat price to ... $5.45/lb

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Bubba, good to hear you are back on your feet enough to handle the hike into your stand. Thumbs up! Give it hell.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I'm not hunting big game any longer but here's the breakdown for birds so far this year.

Ontario Small game license = $25
    Federal Migratory bird stamp & permit = $17
    Gas = $15 per trip @ average 4.5 trips per week for three weeks of hunting so far
    Missed Work = $0.00!
    Ammo = $17.00 per box (so far a dozen birds with exactly two boxes used).

I'm guessing I get approximately four pounds of meat off each goose (breasts, thighs, and legs boned out). That breaks down to ... $5.80/lb. Well okay, that's about the same price as good steak at the grocers but not nearly so much fun bagging one of those. The lady at checkout seems to agree.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad