Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's that "Pound" of Venison going to Cost you this season?? Time off the job,All new Equipment, Hunting Lic,Gas to and from,l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that "Pound" of Venison going to Cost you this season?? Time off the job,All new Equipment, Hunting Lic,Gas to and from,l

What's that "Pound" of Venison going to Cost you this season?? Time off the job,All new Equipment, Hunting Lic,Gas to and from,lease cost,eating out,etc.

I'm a Lease Hunter @ $1,200 A Yr.
    Gas for the season $ 500.
    LP gas and Electric $ 350.
    New tires on Trailer $ 500.
    Food and Drinks 4/the season $ 375
    Some New Hunting Close $ 200.
    -----
    $3,125 +/-
    That's my cost for having Fun & Hunting
    Whats yours???? Hunt safe.

Comment

The last time I figured it up, I couldn't afford it.

Just finished spending some $1300 to plant my food plots, and that's just the start.

Comment

Time off - $0
        Lease - $0
        Fuel - $0 to $5
        Food - $0 (I was gonna cook anyway!)
        Tags - $20/ea probably 2
        Equipment - uhh, however much 2 or 3 reloads cost! 3 or 4 bucks max!
        Clothing - I've dropped 10 pounds, last years stuff still fits.
        Three sacks of whole kernel corn - $9.90/ea = $29.70
        Feeder battery - $5
        Wear and tear on Honda Recon? If I walk the quarter mile to my blind, none.

Tree, I'm shooting for less than $50! But my situation ain't normal! LOL!
        Actually, my most favorite spot is still free, but it's a 54 mile round trip! I'll make that trip probably 3 times over the season. My truck gets 20 mpg and diesel is $3.699/gal.
        My biggest expense is probably processing materuals.
        Spices, tape, butcher paper, GladĀ® wrap, grinder/freezer electricity.
        I still get off pretty cheap.
        I'm still less than $200 for the year.

Comment

I don't think you should count transportation, food and lodging as hunting costs, but rather as general vacation expenses that would have been incurred anyway.
          Anything less than $10 per pound for venison is a bargain. Loin lamb chops are going for more than $14 a pound in my local supermarket.

Comment

$0 because I don't dear hunt. I do however accept donations of venison. Sorry couldn't help it.

Comment

No new equipment for me this year so.. Everything for archery season = $0
              Just spent $60 for powder pellets and sabots for the muzzleloader, muzzleloader season = $60
              Box of 30-06 shells that I really don't need but will buy anyway $20, so rifle season = $20
              Hunting license = $45
              2 doe tags = $6ea = $12
              If I decide to get my deer processed instead of doing it myself = $60ea = $?
              So total this season = $137
              That's minus fuel for the quad and truck but they have gas in them no matter what and I generally don't travel more than a couple miles to hunt so that doesn't really count for me.

Comment

I'm not hunting big game any longer but here's the breakdown for birds so far this year.

Ontario Small game license = $25
                Federal Migratory bird stamp & permit = $17
                Gas = $15 per trip @ average 4.5 trips per week for three weeks of hunting so far
                Missed Work = $0.00!
                Ammo = $17.00 per box (so far a dozen birds with exactly two boxes used).

I'm guessing I get approximately four pounds of meat off each goose (breasts, thighs, and legs boned out). That breaks down to ... $5.80/lb. Well okay, that's about the same price as good steak at the grocers but not nearly so much fun bagging one of those. The lady at checkout seems to agree.

Comment

Bubba, good to hear you are back on your feet enough to handle the hike into your stand. Thumbs up! Give it hell.

Comment

Oh, oh! Correction. Looks like just over one box used. I see the second box with most of its contents is on the floor of the Jimmy. Besides the first box purchased before season I also had a few shells left from last year. That reduces goose meat price to ... $5.45/lb

Comment

Time off $0
                      License $10
                      Deer tag $12(1 deer so far,can get six)
                      Clothes $0
                      Accessories $25
                      Ammo $5
                      Food $200
                      Gas $415 (4-5 trips)
                      Processing $60
                      Misc $50 (propane,coleman fuel,feed blocks,apples)

Aprx $800 (70lbs venison/ $11.50 per lb.

Comment

Time off $0
                        license $0 (land owners tags)
                        Processing $0 (all done in house)
                        Gas $150 (four wheeler)
                        Accessories$149 (new Nikon scope)
                        ammo $30-50 (got 10 deer used 10 .458 socom shells)

Most of my hunting is on my property and i process my on deer. One of my main costs is having to buy the wife something to keep her happy when I spend all week in the woods!

Comment

Montana combined elk/deer tag $1100
                          Fuel (towing horses) $1000
                          New gear for camping $300
                          Bullets/powder etc. for practice $400 (I'll be exceptionally fortunate if I get a shot and two bullets should be the most I use)
                          Horse feed $200
                          New scope $775
                          New range finder $420
                          That's almost $4200 for my bucket list hunt and it will certainly cost more if I get something and have to have it processed and packed back home. If I get a deer or an elk, I'll have to buy a freezer too. I'm not counting the shooting range cost nor the backup rifle I bought because those are used in other endeavors. Deer meat is not cheap. I will note that when I lived in South Dakota the total cost of a deer was $7.50 for a license and 25 cents for a bullet.

Comment

I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it may incriminate me. Especially if the spousal unit reads it....

Comment

I would be afraid to actually sit down and figure up the cost. Let's just say a new truck wouldn't be a problem if hunting was taken out of the equation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad