Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a question for the botanists in the bunch. While goose hunting today I noticed a very odd looking fruit tree in the gull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that is the rose bush in my front yard. The "rosehip" has many small stickers that are easily dislodged on contact. The mystery tree has long (nearly 1.5") intermittent thorns that are quite stout. They don't break off! I have a wild plum growing alongside my driveway that has similar nasty thorns. Both trees are very similar in appearance but the plum's fruit is much different ... on the rare occasion when its fruit actually matures and doesn't wither.

Incidentally, apples and plums are members of the rose family.

Comment

Well OH you learn something new everyday. With researching your tree I found out all fruit trees had spines. It was only when they were "breed" for cultivation or for being ornamental that the spines were cross-breed out. What you saw was a dinosaur. Thanks for the Homework Assignment.

Kindesregardsds
      Carl

Comment

Interesting, Carl! Thanks for doing the homework. I was back out to the same spot this morning hunting geese but forgot the camera ... again! The clumps of fruit emanate from small extension on the branch that eventually become spines when the fruit falls off. Apparently the following year another sprout takes off at another location on the branch that develops into flowers, fruit, then a spine. The leaves, spines, and bark are more like what I see on the wild plum in the driveway. No serrations on the edges of leaves like rosehip has. Totally smooth edges. This tree may be something of a freak. Possibly a cross between the wild plum and a crab? Sure is a pretty thing.

By the way, I kicked arse on the geese. Again. That field sure is hot! Didn't last long but it was fast and furious for about forty minutes. And a bluebird day too. Temps climbed to seventy degrees in the afternoon.

Comment

Currently in a Dendrology course for Forest Technology. My vote goes for Hawthorn, (Crateagus spp). It is a native apple species in the US.

We use Peterson's Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs, and it's a great reference to find unknown species.

Comment

This has definitely been interesting and informative, nonetheless. I look forward to when the plant is actually ID'd.

Comment

smallgame: For certain not a hawthorn as leaves are not lobed nor do they have serrated edges.

It is interesting that this tree has fared so well in this location. Quite a few deer and bears in the neighborhood. I think the thorns explain that.

Comment

Could it be a variety of plum? Some of those are red and small hang in clumps and have stout thorns.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad