Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the whitetail, the big Hawk left an exit hole of considerable size. Not only did the buck go down promptly, but the blood tra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooner,

The 200 grain Hornady Interlock has been a great deer and hog bullet. My loads for that bullet test pretty close to the velocity published in the Hornady manual.

Comment

25-06 with 120 grain Nosler Partitions completely blows the shoulders out but I prefer 100-117 Soft Points. Big and slow may be fine, but the ricochet factor cannot be!

My #1 choice is a HCA 4Runner!

Comment

Gotta say, I use the ultimate big and slow, a one ounce 12 gauge foster style slug at 1600 fps. Maximum range and I mean Maximum is 75 yards. Have shot close to two dozen deer with this load and have never had one "drop" the most common reaction is a sprint of 50 yards or so, then they stop, look around, stumble, fall down, get back up then fall down for good. Big slugs, going slow make big holes, the tend to "punch" right through everything with little expansion or fragmentation. It is remarkable to see the skinned ribcage of a deer, a 12 bore hole in it you can look through, and very little trauma and hemorrhaging around the hole. I guess the point is that big and slow kills very well, not especially fast, nor is it easy to hit with big and slow, but if you do hit you wont lose your deer.

Comment

While a fan of the "reach out and touch something" fast magnums myself, my Uncle from Darby Montana has hunted every season for the last 40 with a 45-70. He has taken more elk and deer than about anyone I know, and has spent a lot of time in the backcountry as a guide and just enoying the country with his packstring. He says most of his hunting and shots are 100 yards or less and the 45-70 puts game down and doesn't damage as much meat as the more modern fast and small cartridges do.

Comment

thanks bee keeper

i have a box of 210grain nosler partition i am itching to load . but will defiantly try the hornady interlock i shoot a lot of hornady bullets in other calibers as well

Comment

Golfing Sportsman, this past deer season my stepson and I was deer hunting, he with his 12ga and Hornady Tipped slugs. He shot a very nice buck shot from upper shoulder down thru body that was literally thrown down and not to get up. He was not in a stand the deer was coming uphill.

Comment

Big and heavy is nice when hunting in the thick brush; no doubt. However, hunting out in the open like we see out west, I will take flat shooting speed every time. I could never tolerate having to say good bye to a trophy muley trucking flat out for the horizon at 300 yards. Sorry but the hold over and lead required by a 45-70 makes it all but an impossible shot; it's even a little tricky if they are standing still with such a slow moving hunk of lead. I hear lots of interesting talk of "hunting" them but nine times out of ten, that will be a muley you never see again if you don't plant him quick. I use a measley little 25-06 and have NEVER had trouble with full penetration or blood trail (although blood trail has never meant anything to me because nearly all the time, the deer collapses directly where he was hit) and I am sure that I could expect the same from a 7mm or similar "little" bullet. In thick brush, I have used a .35 Remington and loved it. Where the shots are at 30-50 yards and through the brush, big and slow is hard to beat but I do not consider it universal just because it works well in some situations just as I do not consider the 25-06 universal.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad