Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever eat porcupine, beaver or woodchuck? I was told woodchuck and beaver are good. I know its a random question but I am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary -

TASTE like fish?

Some folks wood go along with smell.

Comment

I smoked and ate all the beaver I trapped way back when. They reminded me of a smoke ham more than anything. I actually liked eating them almost as much as trading the fur. My cousin was a butcher and he prepared them just like he did ham.

Comment

bayouwoof, good point and I agree.

Here is a Beaver Joke.

What does the Beaver say when the flow is too strong? Dam it!

Comment

Woodchuck is very good. It's just a big plant eating, garden raiding squirrel that happens to live in the earth. My friend's late grandfather (an old Italian guy) would hunt them with a double shotgun, a pick-axe and wheelbarrow. It was during the 1930's and if he wounded one or if it died in it's hole, he'd dig it up if he could. He'd shoot a lot so he needed the barrow to haul them home. Stew the big ones.

Comment

My friend's grandfather growing up used to make "groundhog pies" from the ones he would shoot out of his pasture. I never tried them but everyone but him said they were terrible.

Comment

Where to begin? yes you can eat porcupine, beaver, and woodchuck. I am turning sixty years old in three weeks. I live in northern Minnesota ( Actually, the west side of the big blue lake in the middle. I lived on Mille lacs reservation for just over twenty five years). When I was a child my father taught us to eat what we killed. All three animals are herbivores, and the meat is delicious if prepared right and depending on the time of year. I am not native american by any measurable amount. But my willingness to learn readily, to assimilate without being arrogant and presumptuous, unlike many of the decendants of european immigrants who still comprise the greater population of America. Earned me a place of favor and acceptance within the community. August and Semptember they are best tasting. afterwards, in the Fall, when the weather starts getting colder all three animals go thru a diet change from hearty eating of the best parts of the plants comprising their diets, to "the less tastier" fiberous parts, such as the stalks and plate leaves. the main thing to remember, like bears and all animals, they gain weight in the summer and fall to bulk up for warmth and to store fat calories, (or energy) during the winter. this is what I had learned from my father and grand fathers, as well as the tribal Elders. in the fall when you kill one of these animals it is important to get the hide off as soon as possible, and field dress the carcass, removing the organs and disposing of the ones not kept for eating, being absolutely carefull not to rupture the bladder and spilling urine on the meat. cooling the meat as fast as possible keeps the meat from developing some of the wild taste ( growing bacteria is the crappy taste). Next when quartering and cleaning the meat, take your time and don't get in too much of a hurry. the fat that is in the muscle tissue is what will give your meat the rest of the bad taste that is associated with wild animals. yes even deer. the tallow is different than beef fat and so is its taste. finally when you have the meat cut up into tiny pieces, usually 3/4" x 1-1/2" or smaller if you like. then make a salt rub with pepper and salt i use about a teaspoon of salt to a half tsp. of pepper. and this usually covers about a lb of meat. you can coat the meat by dipping in a flour and salt /pepper dry mix. pour just a little bit of lard or cooking oil. 1/2 cup maximum and brown the meat untill done. you can use porcupine beaver, woodchuck, or any other critter you catch. Iv'e never eaten skunk. but if i was starving i wouldnt hesitate.
              don't be afraid to add your own spices, jalepenos, chilles' onions, etc. will make it better than imaginable.
              To recap what I've learned from my Elders that were taught by their Elders over a hundred years ago.
              1. Field dress and clean guts out thoroughly. (cool the meat fast)
              2. No urine ( or poopy) on the meat.
              3. Carefully and completely, remove all of the tallow and animal fat on the carcass.
              4. season and fry, roast, boil or however you prefer your critters.
              I have prepared and eaten probably at least a few hundred of all three animals. the worst tasting of the three was beaver, it had a muddy lakewater taste similar to muskrat. but by careful cleaning, seasoning, and with lake animals, i like to marinade in a barbque sauce/vinegarand water solution overnight. the beaver is stringy tough meat. cause they are powerful muscular animals. but you can make a real good "pulled pork" type of meat for sandwiches.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Spam here is insane...
                by FirstBubba
                Guess I mis'splained Ernie.
                A "moderator" should remove "spam" readily, but not be heavy handed when censoring posts....
                Today, 07:45 PM
              • The Spam here is insane...
                by Ernie
                With no one here deleting the spammers, this forum has gone to the dogs/spammers.
                I enjoy the folks here, but with no one to reign in the spammers...
                10-16-2020, 01:51 PM
              • Reply to Badnews on the stimulus checks.
                by fitch270
                Seriously. Our household income wasn’t affected at all, only thing we stimulated was the kid’s college fund.
                Today, 07:37 PM
              • Badnews on the stimulus checks.
                by 99explorer
                Democrats this week took the biggest step in months toward reaching a stimulus compromise, but the proposed deal lacks another round of $1,200 direct...
                Today, 05:37 PM
              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                by 99explorer
                The White House Coronavirus Task Force is warning Americans who celebrated Thanksgiving with other people outside their household should assume they are...
                Today, 07:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X