Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddest sound in the wilderness?

Saddest sound in the wilderness?

Some fella gets stuck on a ol' logging road right under your tree stand!

Comment

The last three days I have had to listen to a lone goose crying for its mate. A very distinctive and forlorn (almost frantic) call. Heartbreaking. Sadly, they are almost impossible to decoy. Only shooting I would have had today was a pair that quietly slipped by for a very close look at my deeks. But I didn't see them in time to get set up well. If I can't get good shots to take both I won't shoot. Guess I'm getting old.

Comment

A Mourning Dove without it's mate. Very solemn.

Comment

Wet farts in white camo.

Comment

I was bow hunting and I shot a doe. I dragged her out in the middle of a field and gutted her. I didn’t want to stink up my deer stand area with a smelly gut pile. I noticed she still had a lot of milk but I never saw any fawns.

The next two days hunting that same tree stand a little spotted fawn was walking around calling for its mother. The fawn must have been born late and was still milking. I felt horrible knowing I caused that little fawn to suffer and maybe die of hunger. That was the worst sound I ever heard and I will never shoot a doe during the early bow season.

It still haunts me telling you guys the story.

Comment

I'm with Gary. Fawns crying for their mother is pretty sad.

Comment

I was walking through the oak brush and heard something big with padded feet (lion or bear) running by us followed by a fawn balling....thought about doing something but I figured it was too late and it's just the circle of life...still a sad sound though

Comment

Precisely why I never shoot does... You can bet that spotted fawn did not make it without its mother. Also make sure a cow elk does not have a calf with her.

Comment

A mourning dove in the early hours sounds pretty forlorn.

A calling loon does as well.

I always hated to hear the sound of the creek on my hunting ground on the last night of the hunt. I sit on the same log and let the sun go down around me, not really hunting any more, but saying goodbye for another year. I'm afraid that I may not be able to return the next year, due to all the things that can happen in a year's time beyond our control. I'm both comforted to know that the creek will keep flowing throughout the year, and sad that I won't be there to listen. I hope I'll be able to share that with my boys some cool November.

Comment

Whitetail/muley fawns and elk calves are easily taken up by other does/cows. The adopted mothers may or may not nurse the orphans but they don't have any problems looking after them and "looking after" is essential to their survival, not nursing. Calves/fawns are in the process of being weaned by the time hunting season opens so they should be able to make it through the winter fairly well.

A calf moose, on the other hand, is pretty much done for if its mother gets killed. Moose are solitary animals and another cow will not care for the orphan. Moose calves also require a lot of looking after. A cow moose will usually take two years, and sometimes three, to raise her calf.

An orphaned fawn antelope usually has a pretty good chance of survival because they are typically a heard animal. Safety in numbers.

Comment

OH,I too, have seen a lone goose looking and calling for its mate, and it's not the same as other calls. I hunt a lot of public marshes and the last lost goose I saw was killed by a long shot by some fella with what sounded like a 10 gauge. That goose was circling and calling for over an hour.On another note, in our part of NY, the fawns are all brown and good size when shotgun/rifle season opens, but some does still have milk in them. Most female fawns have a twin, while the button bucks are mostly alone. Their bleat is sad and unmistakable.

Comment

The saddest sound I can think of is last year when I was gutting a doe I had shot. I know more had gotten the chest opened up and the unthinkable happened. I heard that stomach turning noise of the poop sack being sliced open...

Comment

Witnessed a gray squirrel get preyed on by an owl. It's mate or another squirrel it had contact with cried for over an hour. Never heard the same sound omitted since.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad