Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since it's Movie Trivia Time What was the error in Dirty Harry's famous 44 Magnum speech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since it's Movie Trivia Time What was the error in Dirty Harry's famous 44 Magnum speech?

Since it's Movie Trivia Time What was the error in Dirty Harry's famous 44 Magnum speech?

Harry said his 44 magnum handgun "Can blow your head clean off".
    Is that false? Just a wild guess?

Comment

Seems like he said it wz the most powerful handgun in the world.

Comment

Gary -

Thet's whut Yosemite Sam said he wz going to do to to a certain rabbit.

Comment

I may be wrong, but to my count, Harry only fired four shots in that scene.

Comment

I think 99explorer may have hit the nail on the head!

Comment

Sorry. I take it back. I watched that scene again and counted five shots.

Comment

That's what they say about eye witness testimony. Counting the shots and looking at Eastwood's recovery from the recoil I counted 7 shots. Extra credit what model shotgun did the bank robber carry?

Comment

Looked a lot like a Model 97.

Comment

I just watched it again and think I might have found another problem. If you pull the hammer back on a revolver, the cylinder rotates as it puts the shell in position to fire, right? So why does it rotate again when Harry pulls the trigger? I don't know much about handguns, but that doesn't seem right.

Comment

Correct bayou; there was also the idea of the 44 Mag being the most powerful cartridge. The 454 casull was developed 2 decades before. I'm not sure if it was offered in a production hand gun at the time of the movie.

Comment

At that time, the .454 Casull was only offered in a single action handgun.
                        That's a nasty "no-no" for LEO's. Even back then.
                        Plus, the S&W M29 was the latest "thing".
                        After "Dirty Harry" came out, B&B Sporting Goods, two doors down from the Texas Theater, couldn't keep M29's in stock! They showed up about six months later at the local pawn shop due to recoil! LOL!
                        The first one I ever laid eyes on was $369.95, NIB!

Comment

I think the shotgun was a Winchester Model 12.

Comment

Matt - I looked at the scene again, and I think you may be right. Just as Harry pulls the hammer back and aims at the perp's head, the camera angle changes and we see the muzzle end view. Just then, the cylinder seems to turn at the sound of the click.

Comment

That's a laugh a Month later you could buy the S&W 44Mag Used! they all came with a half a box of Ammo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad