Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know this has been asked a lot, but what would be your favorite, affordable trail camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know this has been asked a lot, but what would be your favorite, affordable trail camera?

I know this has been asked a lot, but what would be your favorite, affordable trail camera?

If I had a lot of disposable income I would purchase Reconyx, quality is unmatched, followed by Cuddeback. But as I don't have that kind of money I'm trying to find a good camera or two, for under about $150. So what do you all use/have had the best luck with?

Comment

I would save your money for a cuddeback attack IR. even if It meant eating rice and beans for a month. It is by far the best I've used.

Comment

I like my Primos Truth Cam Ultra Blackout trail camera.
        There is no infrared light glow scaring off any game.
        It is also camouflage with slotted holes so you can put a python cable lock across the camera door locking it onto a tree.
        The price for the Primos Blackout trail camera is $160.

Click on the link below this video explains everything and you can see what the camera looks like.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx_BhRyAkEA

Comment

I own it. It's a Wildgame Innovations Axe 2. And it was actually just featured in the October issue of the magazine. They are under a hundred bucks and they work great!

Comment

I like Moultries. I like the little m-80's They are small enough to fit in your coat pocket. I've had three Primos cameras. I had trouble with all three. None of them are operating today. The Moultries have a little slower trigger spead than others but there battery life is second to none. I can get thousands of pics and at least six months off a single set of batteries.

Comment

AlJoe, I own four Primos trail cams for many years and they still work great. I bought all my Primos trail cams from the Sportsmen Guide and they will send you a new camera free of charge if you have any problems. All you need is the receipt.

1. Primos Blackout is all camouflage and the Moultrie m-80 is not. Camouflage hides your trail cam from a scum bag thief.

2. All the Primos cameras has a video setting and I don‘t think your m- 80 does? It is not listed in the link below.

3. Primos have a green on light that turns red when photos are taken and the m-80 does not.

4. Primos have molded slots on the camera door for a cable lock so a thief doesn't steal the memory card or your trail camera. I didn't see any slots on the m-80 link below.

5. Primos take a faster photo then the cheaper m-80.

www.vminnovations.com/Product_19132/M80XT-MOULTRIE-Game-Spy-Mini-Black-Infrared-Digital-Trail-Game-Camera-5MP.html

Comment

6. The Primos Blackout has no light glow from the infrared photo and the m-80 does.
                The light glow could spook a new buck or bear to the area.

7. Will a Tom Turkey stand right next to and in front of your m-80 trail camera?
                They do with my Primos Blackout trail cam, just click on the link below and see the proof.

www.fieldandstream.com/contest_entry/1001487732?page=105&pnid=1001488170

Comment

8. The blackout has the moon phase, the time, the date, the temperature and the day of the week listed under each photo does an m-80?

The link below has another Blackout trail cam photo of the same tom turkey up close.

www.fieldandstream.com/contest_entry/1001487732?&page=106&pnid=1001488172

Comment

I have a bushnell trophy cam. (base model) and so far its been fantastic. Battery life is incredible to say the least. Check Amazon for price, I think its down to around $135 now, so it's definitely in your budget.

Comment

For affordable and great customer service combined with very good picture quality, I'd recommend Covert Red40(also for vids with sound) or Mp6 Black(if you want concealable black flash). If I was in Canada I'd likely go for a Spypoint(not here just because of shipping if you need service - though my IR5s are 2.5 years and no issues yet). My experience with Cruddeback has been just that-Cruddy service and performance and from what I hear it's still that way compared to the others. WGI in my opinion, though cheap and some do a nice job, are disposable cams, and have quality control issues often...and only last a couple years. Bushnell and Moultrie are both improved and have good working models available(I don't know which ones). Go to Chasingame.com - check out the reviews and then check out the forum for lots more info on the new models(and older ones to).

Comment

I'm with Gary on this one, except I would expand that to say that I like any of the truthcam series. One thing he didn't mention that I really like is the adjustable sensitivity settings. So if I'm getting too many false triggers I can turn the sensitivity down and vice versa. At around $100 a pop, the truthcam 46 is a pretty dern good camera for the money!

Comment

Thanks for all the input, hopefully I'll make out well and I'll probably look at the Primos cameras some more. I have used them in the past for different projects and just wasn't so sure they were catching everything that was going on.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad