No announcement yet.

Bow hunting standing corn. Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bow hunting standing corn. Any advice?

Bow hunting standing corn. Any advice?

Use a tree stand. Get above the corn.

Comment

Find where they're coming in in the eve and where they are leaving in the a.m.

Comment

Have about twenty people on call to help you track your deer!

Comment

Ncarl, put out trail cameras on the heavy deer runs going in and out of the corn. This would tell you where to hunt.

Trail cameras have the time on each photo taken so you would also know if the morning, the evening or the afternoons were the best time to hunt.
          Good Luck!

Comment

The only thing I will add is be patient.

I don't know where you hunt but you should also ask yourself what other food is in the area. Deer will leave the sanctuary of standing corn if other high value food sources are available. Especially acorns as long as there is a good crop for the year.

Hunting standing corn is a challenge. Just do what everyone has said but above all be patient. Its gonna be a long waiting game. I don't plan on hunting my one stand until after the corn is cut. But my property has many food sources and I will be exploiting travel routes to bedding areas and hunting plots of oak.

Comment

Have shot exactly one deer while stalking standing corn. Play the wind, shoot from your knees, move only when the wind blows the stalks, move very slowly, deer rarely go more than 10 rows in, expect to find the deer bedded, find the deer and let them come to you and most importantly, be prepared to eat your tag because shooting a deer out of the corn is very difficult.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

I've hunted corn fields most of my life. I suggest finding where they enter and exit the field and hunt these locations. They will usually follow a fence row or tree line to reach the field and that is where you should be positioned.

Modern corn farming puts the rows and corn stocks so close together that you have a tough time raising a bow or getting an arrow to fly straight for five feet. In the Fall, the corn is brittle and makes too much noise for any kind of stalk. They like the sanctuary of these fields and corn is a primary food source where available but they also like to come out in the open to bed or look around, especially early AM and PM. Hunt NEAR the field but not IN it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad