Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a scope to put on my new muzzleloader, the thing is I know zero about scopes. I'm looking at Nikon Prostaff, Bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a scope to put on my new muzzleloader, the thing is I know zero about scopes. I'm looking at Nikon Prostaff, Bus

I'm looking for a scope to put on my new muzzleloader, the thing is I know zero about scopes. I'm looking at Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Trophy DOA, and Nikon Inline XR. Any thoughts? I want to keep the price around $200, I'm not interested in a $500 scope for a muzzleloader. Finally with the Nikon Prostaff they, not that I saw have a muzzloader specific scope so I would assume I would want a shotgun not the rifle version correct?

For you price point I would purchase a Leupold VX-1 shotgun scope. I've had one on my knight muzzleloader since 1994 after replacing 1 tasco and 2 simmons because they didn't hold up. I've been a leupold guy ever since.

Comment

Vortex makes some good optics as well and have a killer guarantee. Not sure if they make a "shotgun" scope.

Comment

I have the camo Nikon Omega scope on my stainless steel T/C Encore muzzleloader.

Comment

Check with the muzzleloader manufacturers, they have some, with their name on them that are gauged specifically for muzzleloader ranges - a lot like Xbow scopes.

Comment

Bass-Pro~~~Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope 3-9x40 Matte Black,
            $129.99 # SKU 602753 Hope this Helps.

Comment

I don't know how much you hunt with your muzzleloader. Here in Pa there is only a one week doe season. That said, I just wanted a cheap scope for mine. I put a Bushnell Sportsman series rifle scope 3x9 on mine and it does the job just fine. I think I paid $80 for it and for that I couldn't be happier. I have shot 3 doe with it and it has stayed on point. I also have not had to adjust it over the 3 years it's been on the gun.

Comment

Bass-Pro~~~Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn Shotgun/Muzzleloader Scope 3-9x40 Matte Black,
                $129.99 # SKU 602753 Hope this Helps.

Comment

The biggest difference between rifle and muzzle loader scopes is the parallax.
                  For shotgun/muzzle loader scopes, parallax is set for 75 yards. Regular rifle scopes, parallax is set "out yonder"!
                  This has nothing to do with recoil and everything to do with the restricted range of shotguns and muzzle thumpers.
                  My T/C Omega wears an older Weaver K4-1. I've taken 'yotes and a nice tom with it so far. Hopefully a deer this year.

Comment

Go with the Nikon and muzzleloader scope. You can get a scope w/ballistic marks set for muzzleloaders, and with Nikon's Spot-On program, you have an unmatched system to customize your zero. You can also use this program to customize loads to see, plot and print ballistic tables and projectile paths to see exactly where your slug is going. Check it out online. It's very impressive, and Spot-On has gotten terrific reviews from professional reviewers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad