Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta question about eating furbearers. Do any of you eat muskrat or raccoon im gonna be trapping this year .i will be targeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR AWESOME
    replied
    Thanks guys definetley be asking my local dnr to make sure its safe.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    I have no experience with either animal, but just by coincidence, last night I saw a TV food show in which an old woman in Savannah was butchering a raccoon and talking about how important it is to go through the skinned carcass and cut out all the little scent glands, which can taint the meat. Maybe that's something to keep in mind. (Yeah, it was just a TV show, but this lady still lives in the same swamp-hovel that her slave ancestors did, and she certainly knew her way around with a skinning knife).

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Dcast -

Nature's way of teaching people to floss.

Ah kin git away with almost ennything, bein a dawg...

Ah kin go out in the front yard and pee, fur instance.

Or mebbe a little leg-humpin...

Leave a comment:

• Dcast
    replied
    Bayouwoof, we'd be talking a whole other kind of animal then! They must be shaved prior to eating!

Leave a comment:

• bayouwoof
    replied
    Ah hadda read it twicet.

Ah thought he said furburgers!

Leave a comment:

• ozarkghost
    replied
    Coon and possum were staples in early American frontier life. Nothing wrong with them if prepared and cooked correctly. Even skunks can be eaten.

Leave a comment:

• Dcast
    replied
    I'm with Scratchgolf72 on this one! The only exception would be for survival.

Leave a comment:

• LostLure
    replied
    I have eaten some beaver in my time (get your heads out of the gutter) and I thought it was really good. Never tryed possum or raccoon before.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I have eaten Possum and Raccoon..Prefer Possum over Raccoon...but its just me!

Leave a comment:

• scratchgolf72
    replied
    there are some things you just dont eat...

Leave a comment:

• felicitask66byaxzjy
    replied
    Hmmm, Good Question... The best time of the year would be winter to eat it. If your going to do it right make sure to cut all the fat off the meat. Then boil the meat for about 30 mins to remove more hidden fat. After that put in crock pot and add some seasoning. Taste close to wild pork, can be tasty if done right!!!

Leave a comment:

• felicitask66byaxzjy
    replied
    Hmmm, Good Question... The best time of the year would be winter to eat it. If your going to do it right make sure to cut all the fat off the meat. Then boil the meat for about 30 mins to remove more hidden fat. After that put in crock pot and add some seasoning. Taste close to wild pork, can be tasty if done right!!!

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    My dad was an iron worker at a steel mill. During trapping season, he was the most popular guy around. The brothers that worked down there would fight each other to get their hands on the racoons he took in.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    On the TV show "The Mountain Man" the trapper who was camping near the snake river and sleeping in a large teepee said he and his dog would not eat trapped raccoon because their loaded with worms.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    The "free trappers" of the mid 1800's held beaver tail in high regard along with buffalo tongue.
    Vegetarian animals shouldn't be a problem. It would take some experimentation to figure out how to prepare each animal to make it palatable.
    The omnivores? I'm not sure. Bears are omnivores. They're edible. A raccoon is just a small bear. Once again, give it a whirl, see what happens.
    Most edible animals are "farmed".

Possum recipe:
    Dress out a tender young possum. Select a piece of pine 1x12 approximately two feet in length.
    Attache dressed possum to board. Prop board with attached possum next to fire. Leave until possum is goldem brown.
    Discard possum, eat board.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad