Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta question about eating furbearers. Do any of you eat muskrat or raccoon im gonna be trapping this year .i will be targeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta question about eating furbearers. Do any of you eat muskrat or raccoon im gonna be trapping this year .i will be targeting

Gotta question about eating furbearers. Do any of you eat muskrat or raccoon im gonna be trapping this year .i will be targeting muskrat and im sure 1 or 2 raccoons will wander into a set. So any recipes or personal experince and what do they taste like would be much appreciated.

Rats ain't very good to eat.

Ah roasted a nutria oncet and it wuz nasty.

Coons, on the other hand go real good inna spicy stew.

They taste a lot like kitty-cats.

Comment

I have heard the younger racoons, groundhogs and beaver are very edible.

Comment

The "free trappers" of the mid 1800's held beaver tail in high regard along with buffalo tongue.
        Vegetarian animals shouldn't be a problem. It would take some experimentation to figure out how to prepare each animal to make it palatable.
        The omnivores? I'm not sure. Bears are omnivores. They're edible. A raccoon is just a small bear. Once again, give it a whirl, see what happens.
        Most edible animals are "farmed".

Possum recipe:
        Dress out a tender young possum. Select a piece of pine 1x12 approximately two feet in length.
        Attache dressed possum to board. Prop board with attached possum next to fire. Leave until possum is goldem brown.
        Discard possum, eat board.

Comment

On the TV show "The Mountain Man" the trapper who was camping near the snake river and sleeping in a large teepee said he and his dog would not eat trapped raccoon because their loaded with worms.

Comment

My dad was an iron worker at a steel mill. During trapping season, he was the most popular guy around. The brothers that worked down there would fight each other to get their hands on the racoons he took in.

Comment

Hmmm, Good Question... The best time of the year would be winter to eat it. If your going to do it right make sure to cut all the fat off the meat. Then boil the meat for about 30 mins to remove more hidden fat. After that put in crock pot and add some seasoning. Taste close to wild pork, can be tasty if done right!!!

Comment

Hmmm, Good Question... The best time of the year would be winter to eat it. If your going to do it right make sure to cut all the fat off the meat. Then boil the meat for about 30 mins to remove more hidden fat. After that put in crock pot and add some seasoning. Taste close to wild pork, can be tasty if done right!!!

Comment

there are some things you just dont eat...

Comment

I have eaten Possum and Raccoon..Prefer Possum over Raccoon...but its just me!

Comment

I have eaten some beaver in my time (get your heads out of the gutter) and I thought it was really good. Never tryed possum or raccoon before.

Comment

I'm with Scratchgolf72 on this one! The only exception would be for survival.

Comment

Coon and possum were staples in early American frontier life. Nothing wrong with them if prepared and cooked correctly. Even skunks can be eaten.

Comment

Ah hadda read it twicet.

Ah thought he said furburgers!

Comment

Bayouwoof, we'd be talking a whole other kind of animal then! They must be shaved prior to eating!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad