Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have someone in their family like this? My brother and I just had a conversation about the reason to own an AR. He s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have someone in their family like this? My brother and I just had a conversation about the reason to own an AR. He s

Anyone else have someone in their family like this? My brother and I just had a conversation about the reason to own an AR. He said the only reason someone should own one is if they shoot competitively, I said there is plenty of people that hunt with them. He also said that if I fill both my tags I should donate both deer because "I don't need the meat" and I am "only hunting to kill the deer". I plan on donating 1 deer if I fill both tags. He also said that places that allow dove hunting are allowing illegal hunting because "mourning doves are song birds" here in NY we can't hunt doves anyway

Ah reckon.

Nobuddy else in mah fambly evva kilt a deer or owned a AR or even went huntin after they got married.

We lub dove huntin!

Comment

I have a vegetarian in my family, the kind who goes on a health kick and starts to feel like crap. He is into eating clean food. I told this to one of my friends while I was gutting a rabbit. I dropped a piece of meat in the dirt, picked it up, ran it under water, sanitary enough for me.

Comment

cbhunter
        Those obsessed with "vegan" or "clean" diets are mentally unstable anyway any suffer psychosomatic illnesses! LOL!
        Yes, i hunt deer to "kill" them! The "reason" i kill them is for the meat!
        I prefer the venison because it's leaner. Much better for a "carnivorous" diet requiring protein untainted by man.
        The more venison I eat, the better I feel!
        ...and yes, sometimes I use an AR style rifle in 6.8mm!.
        The doves?
        Love the "shooting" part!
        Ammo:Food ratio WAY outta whack for me! Squirrel, duck and turkey is a much better return for ammo investment.

Comment

I would simply tell him "thank you for your opinions," and leave it at that. You do not change the minds of these people, and as he is family, you presumably wish to remain on civil ground with him.

Comment

Thanks. He isn't vegetarian just a really picky eater. I left it at what he said and haven't said anything since. I look at it this way, the stuff we hunt and shoot is probably better for us than what we buy at the store and in my case with a shotgun $1 for the slug gets me more meat than $40 at the store

Comment

As a fellow NY'er it is true we do not yet have an open season on mourning doves. It came close last year and I've heard nothing this year. This is a shame because dove shooting is great sport all throughout our country and they are fine eating. Talk and write to your local member of the NY Assembly and your State senator about supporting such a season. Concerning your brother, don't back down if he or others are asking honest questions, but if he is baiting you, don't bother spinning your wheels with him. As for what you should do with your venison? Just don't let it go to waste. By the by, feral pigeons ARE legal in NY and are loads of fun to lure in and shoot. Good to eat too if you know what you are doing.

Comment

DranDran
                $1 slug = X pounds of meat

Ain't that simple amigo!
                You gotta figure in fuel, clothing, binocs, trail cam, range finder, etc, etc, etc....
                It is without a doubt cheaper at the grocery store!
                BUT....if you process your own, you know exactly what's on your plate and what you're putting in your body.
                To me, that's worth more than price per pound! PLUS! It tastes better!

Comment

Fortunately for me, everyone in my family hunts and fishes with reckless abandon. What you harvest belongs to you and you only. It is your choice what to do with your catch as long as you don't waste it. I'd tell him to allocate his catch as he sees fit and his opinion of what you should do with yours is irrelevant.

I use and AR for hunting. It is one of the best varmint and target rifles around and I occasionally use it for antelope. I let my young nieces and nephews use it for deer because of the low recoil. It is much more effective as a hunting rifle than most people imagine.

Doves... they are great sport and taste even better. If NY doesn't have enough doves to allow hunting, that doesn't mean the rest of the world is suffering the same malady. The DNR in most states is doing a phenomenal job of conservation and propagation of wildlife.

Good luck with your brother... you can choose your friends but you are stuck with your family.

Comment

I used to, but I shot him. No just kidding NSA!I don't have anyone in my family that I still associate with that has those habits. Several years ago, one of my brothers and his wife were hosting Thanksgiving dinner, and my brothers wife thought it would be a nice to invite a co-worker and her husband to join us for the feast, since they were both from other countries and had no family in the U.S. I knew it was going to be a bad experience when the foreign guest tried to impress me with his "organic" wine that he brought, I responded that one of my favorite expressions was "Better living through chemistry" and it went downhill from there. Throughout the first part of the dinner he dominated every conversation by lecturing the crowd on how evil and poorly intentioned all of the United States foreign policies were, and my parents were beginning to get visibly upset. During the next break in the marvelous feast my brother and his wife prepared, I pulled this guest outside to the porch and tried to explain that his views on world politics were his own, but slamming America on Thanksgivings Day and upsetting the crowd and especially my parents would have to end. He started one more time to justify his views and that is when I told him either his views or his @ss was going to remain on the porch, and it did not bother me at all which one it was going to be. We returned to finish the wonderfully prepared meal with considerably less conversation from the foreign guests.

Comment

I actually know a vegetarian who supports hunting because as he (and I agree) believes it is a more humane way of getting meat to eat.
                      I just can't figure out why he doesn't eat meat himself.

Comment

@coffeecupmike, a fried of mine was vegetarian for about 3 years and she just recently started eating meat again. She told me that she supports hunting over the other places you get meat from for that same reason.

Comment

I always thought vegetarian=lousy hunter, but seriously I can respect someone who says they don't eat meat because they don't like it, but if they start with the cruelty stuff then I "educate them" on how far they have ventured from the natural world, and I ask them if they know how many animals died to make that "soy-veggie burger" they are chomping on. when I get that "hum, what are you talking about' response, I inform them that a lot of animals had to die by direct or indirect means to produce the acres of farm land used to make that non-meat stuff, that when you displace animals they die, or you have to kill them. then they usually go into the "organic" farm stuff and I say, "yea, and they don't do any pest control on those farms, because they just let all of the critters eat all that they want". the reality is that when you remove yourself from the life cycle you just do not see the death, i would rather be part of it in a positive way. Again, if you do not eat meat because you do not like it or you have a legit health problem, I can respect that. but if all you want to do is save Bambi because you think he is cute, or that you are superior to me, stay in your condo and leave me alone!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad