Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have caught a lot of fish in southeast Idaho with a rapala. should i use a swivel when fishing a rapala or not? I have heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have caught a lot of fish in southeast Idaho with a rapala. should i use a swivel when fishing a rapala or not? I have heard

I have caught a lot of fish in southeast Idaho with a rapala. should i use a swivel when fishing a rapala or not? I have heard both let me know what yoou think

I think rapala's are engineered to be used without a swivel...I use them for pike and generally dont use a swivel..you might find this helpful:
    http://outfittersontario.com/rapknot.htm

Comment

i wouldnt since it could change the swimming action

Comment

I never use a swivel with Rapalas. I have used a bullet sinker with a built in swivel with a leader and Rapala trailing behind when trying to fish deeper water. Have had good luck on Smallmouth dropping this rig to the bottom with a small trout pattern floating rapala on a 3 to 4 foot leader, when bouncing this around on the retrieve it looks like a wounded minnow swimming just off the bottom, and I think the clinking noise of the sinker attracts fish.

Comment

My prefrence is to tie a "loop" knot (bowline)it doesn't impead the action of the lure. A swivel will effect how the lure runs, it might not effect it adversly but it will be different.

Comment

not sure how it is supposed to be done but i have caught fish both ways

Comment

Look up the Rapala knot. That is the way they are designed to be fished. A diagram with instructions is usually inside the box the lure came in.

Comment

Sharkfin has it... they are not made for fishing with a swivel or snap and it will ruin their action.

Comment

Sharkfin's right. Definitely no hardware.

Comment

thanks for the answers I found the rapala knot and am giving it a try

Comment

Agreed with Sharkfin and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad