Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elmer Fudd brought this up on Phil's turkey blog. Which is more important for turkeys? Good calling, good camo, and good equipm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmer Fudd brought this up on Phil's turkey blog. Which is more important for turkeys? Good calling, good camo, and good equipm

Elmer Fudd brought this up on Phil's turkey blog. Which is more important for turkeys? Good calling, good camo, and good equipment or good woodsmanship and general knowledge about turkeys?

While all 5 are important my experience indicates the latter is more important. You can get by with mediocre calling, sub-standard camo, and average equipment. But the best calling, camo and gear will not overcome little or no general turkey knowledge and poor woodsmanship. I've seen too many guys with good stuff fail miserably.

Comment

All the equipment in the world can't make up for Knowledge and Woodsmanship. Some of the best hunters I know go into the woods with Blue Jeans, a Flannel shirt, small pocket knife, and an old beater 30-06, and out hunt every geared up hunter around.

Comment

The man that taught me most of what I learned(in the beginning) about turkey's hunted in "Army Surplus" camo's, with a "Home made" box, and he killed a bird EVERY year(only allowed one a year back then,IF you could find one).
        So I say KNOWLEDGE/WOODSMANSHIP. "Old age and skill will over come youth and enthuasim(?) EVERYTIME !!.
        How's that? My "NEW" turkey guru?

Comment

You cannot top knowledge

Nate

Comment

I rank them in this order:

1. Woodsmanship

2. Knowledge of the bird

3. Calling Ability

4. Good Camo

5. Equipment (I assume the firearm is the biggest issue here)

Comment

Big O you crack me up. I left you a story on your last question. Hope it will suffice.

Comment

One of my friends can call with the best using a mouth call. He has taken exactly one jake in the last 3 years.

Comment

Oh, and "Big" I would like to add Beekeeper has forgotten more than I know about Turkys. Now slide over and make room under the porch.

Comment

OH! O.K I kept it warm for ya.

Comment

Woodsmanship. After that I think having a good place to hunt full of animals is pretty important. You can be the best hunter in the world but if your land is void of game your gonna strike out.

Comment

Del,

I wouldn't say that. You are pretty tough guy to hold a candle too!

Comment

Well that means we've got two "guru's" now!!!YES !!!

Comment

Bee, Can I carry your calls for you next time you go out turkey hunting? Maybe I could mop your brow while you call haha. A hundred no make that a thousand years from now folks will sit around campfires and tell stories about Neil Cost, Ben Rogers Lee, Beekeeper and Cooper (Clay not the late Colonel) When my name is mentioned it will be Del who? It's not half bad under here with Big.

Comment

Everything is definatley essential for turkey hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad