Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just put a Standoff barrel on my Mossberg 500, what do you guys think of home defense/tactical shotguns ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just put a Standoff barrel on my Mossberg 500, what do you guys think of home defense/tactical shotguns ?

I just put a Standoff barrel on my Mossberg 500, what do you guys think of home defense/tactical shotguns ?

Personally, I think they are a joke. A hunting shotgun would just as good, if not better, than a tactical shotgun. The gun by my bed is NEF single-shot 20 gauge. Besides, a gun is only as good as the person behind it.

Comment

You have a Breacher Barrel made for Blowing off Door locks and Door hinges? A Regular 18"Barrel will do the same thing with out a Claw on the end.

Comment

Whut they said.

Comment

Also, ya gotta be aware about how it's gonna look in court, in front of a judge and/or jury.

If your shotgun has no hunting application, it is easy for a DA or the perp's lawyer who is suing you to paint a picture of you as a paranoid who can't wait to shoot somebuddy.

A cheap shotgn is best, cuz they're gonna take it from ye ennyhow!

Comment

The main reason i'd ever want a shotgun with a short barrel is for bear defense.

Comment

Tactical crap is for military/police/wannabes. Any shotgun is the best home defense weapon.

Comment

Silly. It is a big investment that can't be used for anything else and will probably never be used. Most Americans will live a lifetime without ever having a shootout in their own home and I don't place high value on unused opportunities. If you ever do use it, as bayouwwoof says, it doesn't look good for you in court.

You could easily use a good hunting shotgun for defense if needed, however that would not be my first choice for a home defense tool either. Have you ever tried to point one around a hallway door without exposing your vitals to a bad guy? Have you ever tried to operate one with one hand? A shotgun is better than nothing but I'll take a 1911 with a few extra clips any time.

Comment

I think its awesome man. Its a purpose built "home defense" shotgun,what it looks like in court as some others have said does not even make sense? I don't want to sound like a jerk but I wouldn't take advice on your shotgun from guys using single shot hunting shotguns to protect their life and family. I think your shotgun is awesome and lets face it, that standoff barrel just plan looks cool as hell, would make a great face masher too.

Comment

Originally posted by Suppavillin View Post
                    I think its awesome man. Its a purpose built "home defense" shotgun,what it looks like in court as some others have said does not even make sense? I don't want to sound like a jerk but I wouldn't take advice on your shotgun from guys using single shot hunting shotguns to protect their life and family. I think your shotgun is awesome and lets face it, that standoff barrel just plan looks cool as hell, would make a great face masher too.
                    If you want it buy it. My personal opinion is it's awesome. Lot's of ignorant comments on here man.

Comment

If you want it buy it. My personal opinion is it's awesome. Lot's of ignorant comments on here man.

Comment

Originally posted by bayouwoof View Post
                        Also, ya gotta be aware about how it's gonna look in court, in front of a judge and/or jury.

If your shotgun has no hunting application, it is easy for a DA or the perp's lawyer who is suing you to paint a picture of you as a paranoid who can't wait to shoot somebuddy.

A breacher barrel it's a good Barrel what the court thinks about you doesn't really matter if you decide to put this type of Barrel on your shotgun it is totally up to you also a preacher Barrel it's made to take down doors to take the hinges off the door but it could be used 4 tactical defense what the judge doesn't really care about what kind of barrel you got a rifle if you like the barrel on your shotgun it is totally up to you let's put it this way if someone breaks into your house they got what's coming to them especially if they're threatening your life Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by bayouwoof View Post

A breacher barrel it's a good Barrel what the court thinks about you doesn't really matter if you decide to put this type of Barrel on your shotgun it is totally up to you also a preacher Barrel it's made to take down doors to take the hinges off the door but it could be used 4 tactical defense what the judge doesn't really care about what kind of barrel you got a rifle if you like the barrel on your shotgun it is totally up to you let's put it this way if someone breaks into your house they got what's coming to them especially if they're threatening your life Semper Fidelis

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                            Silly. It is a big investment that can't be used for anything else and will probably never be used. Most Americans will live a lifetime without ever having a shootout in their own home and I don't place high value on unused opportunities. If you ever do use it, as bayouwwoof says, it doesn't look good for you in court.

You could easily use a good hunting shotgun for defense if needed, however that would not be my first choice for a home defense tool either. Have you ever tried to point one around a hallway door without exposing your vitals to a bad guy? Have you ever tried to operate one with one hand? A shotgun is better than nothing but I'll take a 1911 with a few extra clips any time.
                            The right to bear arms was not made for duck hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Suppavillin View Post
                              Amen brother

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad