Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we as sportsman becoming too dependent on modern technology? In this age of GPS, SPOT, laser rangfinders, etc, have we lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jordjohn44
    replied
    I rely on my senses and my compass. I don't trust a gps because who knows when the batteries are going to die and rangefinders seem useless to me. I do think some people are a little to reliant on these items though.

Leave a comment:

• jsobrien
    replied
    I can't afford any of the fancy stuff so I still do it the old way.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Soles
    replied
    From a newcomer. "B-outside"....Like atdyer, I've been involved with Boy Scouts for more than 20 years also. And with all the bad media I keep hearing about Scouts, I will always believe in its teachings. I actually teach wilderness suvival to Scouts. And the most important thing is your own wit. I don't even own, or know how to use any hi-tech gadgets. I barely know how to use the cell phone my wife likes me carry when I'm out and about with the scouts, or hunting and fishing I like to do as often I can. So I'm all for knowing at least basic woods wisdom to enjoy the outdoors.

Leave a comment:

• atdyer
    replied
    I've been involved with my Boy Scout troop as an adult leader for the past 25 years. We still teach the basics of orienteering using a good compass. It's easy to keep in a pocket, & it always works. Keep it simple.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I'm all for learning as much as possible about navigation and survival. It seems that there is always more to learn to improve our safety and simplify our lives. I do use a GPS some times when the country is foreign and it has helped but I don't forget about backups like compass, etc. For survival sake, I have to give my #1 prize to my sister who gave my dad CPR for 45 minutes after his heart failure out in the boonies. It took that long for the medivac chopper to reach them. Since she is a cardialology nurse, she knew that skill just a little better than everyone else and it paid off. He recovered fine. I'm not sure I feel stupid for not knowing that skill as well as she does but I sure was glad to have her expertise. I agree that schools should teach basic navigation, CPR and survival skills but around me it would never happen.

Leave a comment:

• hjohn429
    replied
    Something so basic and potentially vital should be taught in like 2nd or 3rd grade.

Leave a comment:

• Sharkfin
    replied
    I stuck a road flare in a crazy dog's eye one time. Seemed like a good use in that emergency.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Have you ever carried a piece of gear that you really have no need until someone else needs it in an 911 Emergency?

Know what I mean dar Vern!

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    Sharkfin

+1 for you B)

Leave a comment:

• Sharkfin
    replied
    The only time I use a gps is on the water or driving. I'm good in the woods, or at least have not had any issues so far. Of course I'm only 38. Maybe by the time I'm Clay's age my mind will start to go too!!

Just jabbing at ya Coop!!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    In an emergency, I would want the full line of every modern technology to help me.

But you should know how not to become like the lost Boy Scout at all times with the simplest tools you can learn.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    I don't know how to use a GPS. I know how to use a compass.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    Aww now Clay, no need to take it personal. I was just asking along the lines of Kingfisher's earlier comment that GPS and SPOT don't replace common sense and good safety practices. If you ignore the basics bad stuff happens and if you blow an artery SPOT will help them find the body but not much else in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes even when you do everything right stuff goes wrong and the technology has saved a lot of folks in tight situations. I just hate to see people treat it as a substitute for basic safety and woodmanship.

Leave a comment:

• bonnier-admin_2
    replied
    OOPS, not Dogwood Canyon, it's Dog Canyon!

Latitude 32.7581N
    Longitude 105.8857W

rocky d bashaw

AMEN to that!

In High School ROTC, my team was the only team to successfully go thru the land navigation course, the same the Army uses at Fort Chaffee Arkansas. The Sergeant running the course gave us toughest and my team was made up by 3 young ladies and myself! O’YA! And we were the only team to pass the course and lost by some 30 seconds for beating the course in record time!

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    i like old school, compass and string to mark way

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wolf control in Wisconsin.
    by bowhunter75richard
    Yeah, just try to explain that to any wolf advocate and see how far you get. These people have their heads so far up their butts, they can see their eye...
    Today, 09:06 AM
  • Wolf control in Wisconsin.
    by 99explorer
    Very big "no problem" here.

"Hunters and trappers blow past Wisconsin's wolf kill target."

https://news...
    02-24-2021, 05:25 PM
  • Reply to New Things
    by jhjimbo
    I just heard a Dr. caution the virus may spike this summer as people in the south head in to A/C spaces to beat the heat.
    Shop for MERV-13 or better...
    Today, 09:01 AM
  • New Things
    by MattM37
    Some interesting stories in the recent Fur-Fish-Game. Canoeing down rivers to hunt for wild boars, and stalking streambanks to hunt muskrats. Are...
    Yesterday, 07:14 PM
  • Reply to New Things
    by PigHunter
    Jim, it will be $900 and 2 to 3 work days. One way drive time is 45 minutes so there's no need for overnight stay. There's a sign out / sign in board...
    Today, 08:37 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X