Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we as sportsman becoming too dependent on modern technology? In this age of GPS, SPOT, laser rangfinders, etc, have we lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever carried a piece of gear that you really have no need until someone else needs it in an 911 Emergency?

Know what I mean dar Vern!

Comment

I stuck a road flare in a crazy dog's eye one time. Seemed like a good use in that emergency.

Comment

Something so basic and potentially vital should be taught in like 2nd or 3rd grade.

Comment

I'm all for learning as much as possible about navigation and survival. It seems that there is always more to learn to improve our safety and simplify our lives. I do use a GPS some times when the country is foreign and it has helped but I don't forget about backups like compass, etc. For survival sake, I have to give my #1 prize to my sister who gave my dad CPR for 45 minutes after his heart failure out in the boonies. It took that long for the medivac chopper to reach them. Since she is a cardialology nurse, she knew that skill just a little better than everyone else and it paid off. He recovered fine. I'm not sure I feel stupid for not knowing that skill as well as she does but I sure was glad to have her expertise. I agree that schools should teach basic navigation, CPR and survival skills but around me it would never happen.

Comment

I've been involved with my Boy Scout troop as an adult leader for the past 25 years. We still teach the basics of orienteering using a good compass. It's easy to keep in a pocket, & it always works. Keep it simple.

Comment

From a newcomer. "B-outside"....Like atdyer, I've been involved with Boy Scouts for more than 20 years also. And with all the bad media I keep hearing about Scouts, I will always believe in its teachings. I actually teach wilderness suvival to Scouts. And the most important thing is your own wit. I don't even own, or know how to use any hi-tech gadgets. I barely know how to use the cell phone my wife likes me carry when I'm out and about with the scouts, or hunting and fishing I like to do as often I can. So I'm all for knowing at least basic woods wisdom to enjoy the outdoors.

Comment

I can't afford any of the fancy stuff so I still do it the old way.

Comment

I rely on my senses and my compass. I don't trust a gps because who knows when the batteries are going to die and rangefinders seem useless to me. I do think some people are a little to reliant on these items though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad