Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we as sportsman becoming too dependent on modern technology? In this age of GPS, SPOT, laser rangfinders, etc, have we lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we as sportsman becoming too dependent on modern technology? In this age of GPS, SPOT, laser rangfinders, etc, have we lost

Are we as sportsman becoming too dependent on modern technology? In this age of GPS, SPOT, laser rangfinders, etc, have we lost even the most basic skills, such as navigating by map and compass? Other than our military guys, how many of us, if disoriented, could find our way out of the woods with just a map and compass?

I learned map/compass reading before I started school, learned more in the boy scouts, then more in the military. G.P.S.'s are fine but there are still lots of places that they won't work. So to answer you question, count me as one.

Comment

I think so in general. A GPS is useful, but should be used in conjunction with a map. What is SPOT? A laser rangefinder seems to be unneeded. I'm not sure, but I think I could navigate myself out.

Comment

I agree with Big O; a GPS shouldn't be your only method of navigation.

Comment

probably we are, i think i could but i hunt in woods i know pretty well and know my general directions so maybe not.

Comment

Like Big O, I was taught map and compass reading at a very early age so I have at least some basic skill of that. I definitely agree with you that some of the fun of hunting or fishing is lost when you just follow a GPS to a spot, rather than finding the way yourself. New technology brings a lot of good for outdoorsmen, but people put too much confidence in their technology which could fail them and cost them their life. Something like a GPS running out of batteries and forgetting a spare set could cost someone their life.

Comment

KingFisher907

Simple question Sir, you just fallen out of your tree stand in the middle of nowhere and you have a compound fracture, severed artery bleeding to death.

NOW WHAT!

Comment

You should use modern devices as aids to your navigational skills, not as replacements. As far as locater beacons go, a good idea, but in some places even if rescuers know where you are it could still take them a long time to get to you, depending on weather and terrain.... not instant salvation.... and I am sure they occasionally fail, Murphy's law has always applied to any man made device I have owned, especially in rough country...

Comment

I was taught to use a map and compass and to find north.

Comment

I was taught to use a map and compass and how to find north.

Comment

Clay Cooper!
                      I can always count on you to cut right to the chase...

In that situation, SPOT would be the thing to have, for sure...I can definitely see that it would be a life-saving device...I am merely asking if we have become too dependent on modern gadgets...

When the satellites go down, or the batteries die, we need to be able to rely on experience, common sense and woodsmanship...

Comment

I love my gadgets, but when I need to know a bearing, it's my ol' Silva compass that points the way.

Comment

Yes, I think we are. The older generation got by just fine with a Weaver Scope, standard cartridges, traditional clothing and a pocket compass.

Comment

Reminds me of an old Army enlisted man joke. Who is the most dangerous man in the Army? A second lieutenant with a map.

Comment

I do not use a GPS but can see their use in rugged terrain where visability is limited due to mountains or forest cover. I tend to hunt in a half circle when in unknown territory keeping my veichle's location and the road in mind. I have never gotten lost...even in the mountains. I increase the circumference of these half circles each trip and before you know it you have been back in the woods a few miles.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad