Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who motivated your interest in the outdoors? for me it was my uncle Frank, He loved the west, in another life he was a cowboy, h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who motivated your interest in the outdoors? for me it was my uncle Frank, He loved the west, in another life he was a cowboy, h

Who motivated your interest in the outdoors? for me it was my uncle Frank, He loved the west, in another life he was a cowboy, his heroes were John Wayne and Johnny Cash.

In my case, it was the Boy Scouts and the many overnight camping trips we went on.
    And I suppose western movies played a big part in it as well.

Comment

Mine was my grandfather who is a avid fishermen. Then it snowballed into wanting to hunt and wanting to be able to be somewhat self-sufficient.

Comment

Hunting and fishing was my grandpa. He was the only one in my family who hunted/fished when I was growing up. When I was a teenager my uncle (and best friend) picked up fishing and we went all the time. He eventually started flyfishing, which was the inspiration i needed to start myself.

Comment

'Twas mah ole Daddy.

There wuz Labrador Royalty indy house when Ah wuz borned, near 65 yars ago.

Been deep-sea fishin since Ah wuz three.

Pulled the trigger on a dove when Ah wuz 10.

Comment

My father had guns, but he would go to hunting camp more to play cards than hunt (he was a rather successful gambler).
            A guy that hung around the coffee shop was the gun/hunting guru influence and got me started before I was old enough to get a license. Picked up some from skills from him and the rest is self taught - trial and error, lots of error.

Comment

My friend got me involved int the outdoors then my grandfather and uncle tough me the ins and outs.

Comment

Growing up on a cattle ranch in great hunting country and my Father was a great hunter. Jack O Connor's writing and Mr Hemmingway's helped fire my imagination for Africa. Also, there was an old, retired, sourdough, sheep herder who lived across our meadow who always had time for me. He was a self educated gentleman who I am sure had never been to school, but a voracious reader of good books . He insisted I set high goals and work hard at achieving them. His name was Harold Myles

Comment

when I was younger I would read outdoor life whenever I could get to the library. I have always been interested in hunting, but just recently have I started to hunt. my friend Justin helped me get started some.

Comment

Both my dad and grandpa when I was young. As I got older, my uncles were always inviting me along on all of their hunts. To this day my uncles are still some of my best friends and people I love to be around.

Comment

My dad threw me in the duck boat when I was three and I loved it, he taught me how to duck hunt, but I learned myself how to hunt everything else like deer, turkey, rabbit, grouse, etc. my dad also gave me a fishing pole ate the age of three, I now own thirty, and fish in the local tournaments. Something else I took way farther that my father intended.

Comment

My Grandfather took me on my first fishing adventure. He passed when I was very young. His son, My uncle then took me. I blosomed to hunting from him too. My father was a big time jock and wasn't into the outdoors. He did support me 100%. I get to repay my uncles kindness by taking him fishing in Oct. im really looking forward to it.

Comment

My Father and Mother never hunted but they took the family on camping trips every summer. Even when some of us were tiny babies still wearing diapers.

With five Brothers we went canoeing, fishing, frog gigging, catching crawdads in the stream, climbing trees and exploring everything like bunch of maniacs.

My oldest Brother started bow hunting with my cousin Harry who was an excellent long bow archer.

So it all started in our family with Cousin Harry.

Comment

My grandpa and my dad were the first to peak my interesting the outdoors, listening to all of their hunting and fishing stories made me want to go out their and experience what they spoke of.

Comment

My dad inspired me to hunt. He did it without fanfare. He had tremendous respect for all animals and would risk his life to help them. He was also one of the most knowledgeable hunters I ever met and the overall best shot I've ever seen (until my nephew grew up). Since we lived on a small farm with 10 kids to feed, he viewed hunting as a means of survival and took it quite seriously. He lent me his shotgun by second grade and made it my job to bring home at least a half dozen pheasants after school in the Fall. He brought me with him and trained me for deer hunting for several years and I can still remember vividly that first day when at the age of 14 I could actually get a license and hunt with him. I still shake my head at some of the shots he made. I think that is why I have been practicing my whole life to try to get half as good as he was before I die.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad