Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you want to read a very amusing, unbiased article about concealed carry, written by a neutral party for the entertainment of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you want to read a very amusing, unbiased article about concealed carry, written by a neutral party for the entertainment of

If you want to read a very amusing, unbiased article about concealed carry, written by a neutral party for the entertainment of the general public, go to www.harpers.org/archive/2010/08/happiness-is-a-worn-gun/1/

Sorry, but I had hoped the link would come out in blue print and you could just click on it.
    It is worth the time and effort to type it in, however.
    I even printed out a copy for my files and read it periodically for a laugh.

Comment

I especially like the author's observation that firearms are "elegantly designed and exquisitely manufactured...that there is a sensuous pleasure in handling guns."
      This is the most non-political treatment of the subject that I have ever read.

Comment

Great read, 99, thanks for posting.

Comment

Baum writes an interesting diatribe although it does have several inaccuracies and takes some license in his statements. For one, I have never heard any evidence to sustain his attack on the work of John Lott.
          One concern of mine that he did expound on is the association of an armed individual with the entertainment value of the movies. Lots of people do make an association and it is dangerous as Hollywood is so perverted in so many ways.
          The people I know are in condition 'yellow' constantly, I don't know who the condition 'white' people are that he knows. Maybe those on drugs or alcohol are condition 'white'.
          I disagree with the last half dozen sentences, there is no sign,that I am aware of, that what he says is happening in a increasingly 'carry concealed' society.

Gary, you do not have to type links in your browser - copy and paste works fine. Highlight the link, hit copy and then over the subject line of the browser hit paste and the link will be placed there. Saves a lot of typing.

Comment

Good Read 99E, Thanks for Posting.

Comment

Ah dunno...

Seems like he's typing between episodes of crumpetcake biting and washing it down with tea while mulling.

He fails to communicate the mentality of predators whose opening act is violence against others who are minding their own business.

Butt ah liked "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Comment

Unbiased? Neutral party? I struggled through two pages of his typical liberal drivel before giving up in disgust in the midst of his condesending descriptions of "concealed carry" classes.
                Not anything like the three concealed classes I have attended. All three were given by professional instructors more concerned with teaching the consequences after the shot than getting prepped for a shoot out. All concentrated on law, and where a liscenced CHL could not carry. Range time was run to the standards of a military shooting exercise. I realize that Boulder, CO, is "forty square miles, surronded by reality," but if that is what passes for a concealed carry class, God help Colorado. No wonder certain parts of that state are more California than California.

Comment

crm3006 -

Ah like the 40 square miles!

Ah seen Fantasy Land when Ah stayed with friends there...the wealth and everything thet goes with it.

When next Ah returned, it wuz to present a research paper on Compact Solid-State Laser Radar as applied to unmanned air vehicles and smart bombs at a national Infrared Symposium.

Ah wuz surprised they let us into town.

Ah went there via jet and wuz unarmed so Ah ended up having to outrace a pursuer down a steep and narrow winding mountain road and into town in mah Subaru (not Aston Martin)rental car.

Whoevva uses the brakes loses.

Boy Howdy!

Butt thet's another story...

Comment

crm3006 - I think we need to lighten up a bit. If we read further along, we find that the author shares our views concerning the concealed carry classes he described.
                    He thinks it's a scandal that licenses are issued on the basis of such scant training.
                    And also remember that the article was written for entertainment, with more levity and less of the heavy technical stuff we're accustomed to reading on the subject of concealed carry.

Comment

crm3006, what would you consider an "unbiased" article? Once that supports concealed carry without question? Do you feel that Fox News is "fair and balanced"?

As for his description of the classes, they actually sound better than mine. I took one that was three or so hours long and culminated with the 100 or so participants lining up to take their turn with "live fire". We each stepped into a customized RV and fired a single round of .22 short into a tank of water about 5 feet away. The class was taught by a guy who claimed to be a hotshot NRA instructor.

Comment

Greenhead-
                        What would I consider an "unbiased" article?
                        Any of the writings of John R. Lott, Jr. (More Guns, Less Crime, and The Bias Against Guns.) Lott is a statistician, and some of his work is a little dry, but is well researched and backed by statistics and sources.
                        I would also reccomend "The Seven Myths of Gun Control", by Richard Poe. He lays out a good case for reclaiming the Second Amendment to what the Founders intended.
                        Last, I would direct you to Dr. Joseph L. Bass, author of a short (96 page) pamplet titled "A Little Handbook on the Second Amendment- What The American aristocracy Doesn't Want You To Know."
                        These three authors lay out the fallacy of gun control with neither the hype of LaPierre and the NRA nor the hysteria of Fienstein, Boxer, obummer, Biden, Waxman, Schumer....ad nauseum.
                        Do I feel that Fox News is "fair and balanced" In short, NO! I think Fox is marginally better than the rest, but "fair and balanced"? Ha! Some of their commentators are nothing but buffoons that will take one position one day and another the next. O'Reilly, anyone? Some are right, some are left. I watch more for entertainment, when I watch, than news value.
                        About concealed carry classes-
                        I have taken three CHL classes over the past fifteen years, and have never had the misfortune to have landed in one such as you or the author of this article describe.
                        One hundred participants in one class? Not in Texas! I don't know if it is law or policy, but the classes I took were limited to twenty-five students. First time applicants get ten hours class time, plus required range time. You have to pass a written test and score a minimum on your live fire exercise from three different distances. On any of the three ranges I have been on, a safety violation will get you kicked out of the class and your fee forfited.
                        Renewal applicants must go through four hours of class time, and pass the same written test on class materials and the same marksmanship criteria. I actually thought Texas was a little lax in their requirements.
                        Best regards, and shoot straight!
                        crm

Comment

The course I took covered everything in a complete and professional way. About 25 in the class for a full day of classroom and an intense range day.
                          The instructor had helpers on range day(Police dept outdoor range) that were one for every 3 or 4 students. After the bulls eye shooting they took us through the techniques of buildings and rooms, situations a lot like IDPA. My only thought for range time is a person should qualify with their intended carry gun, not a .22 and then carry a .40 or .45ACP.

Comment

I have never heard of any other author who was initially opposed to concealed carry, but who went to the trouble of becoming licensed and actually carried a firearm, both concealed and openly, in several states, to gain a first-hand acquaintanceship with the subject.
                            He acknowledges that his family and friends tend to be left wingers, but he still packs heat occasionally.
                            That sounds pretty fair and balanced to me.

Comment

jhjimbo-
                              Texas has two classifications of handgun categories:
                              NSA=Only handguns that are not semi-automatic.
                              SA=All handguns, whether semi-automatic or not.
                              There is also a caliber minimum. No .22s or .25s, and may have to be larger than .32, not sure about that. I always use a standard .45 ACP, because that is what I carry most of the time, and shoot better than some of my handguns. Qualification consists of a 50 round course of fire at three different ranges. The last time I qualified, there were three rangemasters on the firing line, and eight or nine students per leg.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad