Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In theory a fellow that wants his rifle to shoot fast and flat without using overloads should be able to do so by switching to B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Barnes bullets do provide comparative penetration results one weight down from a lead bullet because of the longer bullet. That means shooting a 90 grain Barnes instead of a 100 grain Hornady and expecting similar results. It does not mean that the 100 grain Barnes will go faster than the 100 grain Hornady. Although I do shoot Barnes bullets I don't intentionally move down a weight class for more speed. The main reason is the fact that I already have as much speed as I need. I shoot 100 grain Hornadys for deer in my 25-06 and have no interest in shooting 90 grains at 3600fps even if it provides the same great results. I am afraid that the smaller and faster bullet will be more likely to deflect off brush than a slower moving larger bullet. I sometimes even slow my 100 grain deer bullets down from 3250fps to 2800fps if I am going to be hunting in deep brush. If I use any more speed, I am also concerned about destroying way more meat than necessary.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad