Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you who hunt or trap on other peoples land how do you go about getting permission. Any suggestions to up my chances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who hunt or trap on other peoples land how do you go about getting permission. Any suggestions to up my chances

For those of you who hunt or trap on other peoples land how do you go about getting permission. Any suggestions to up my chances on getting permission to get access to some land. Ill just be trapping on their land dont know if that helps.

I would say ringing the door bell is a good start. If the answer is NO, take no for an answer. If the answer is yes. Leave the land and the gates as you found them. If you see something that might need the owners attention. Tell him, it goes a long way to be invited back.

Comment

AWESOME
      Don't know how old you are, so here's some tips.
      Don't be shy.
      When talking to a landowner, look them in the eye!
      Covers tattoos, remove piercings, don't smoke, chew or show up drinking/drunk.
      A NO is a NO is a NO! Don't argue!
      Remember your manners! Yes sir. No sir. Thank you and please.
      Don't use nick names such as Skeeter or Possum.
      Offer labor in exchange for hunting/fishing/trapping rights.
      Remember, they're doing YOU a favor, NOT the other way around.
      Consider carrying a signable document the holds the property owner harmless if you get hurt. This is really important in today's "sue" happy society!
      Share the "take".

Comment

BTW!
        If given permission to "trap", then trap! DO NOT hunt or fish! At least not without discussing it with the landowner. Remember, he/she only gave you permission to "trap".

Comment

Hi...

All great tips.

If a homeowner (make sure it is, or someone who can give you proper permission) doesn't want to sign a permission, just take out your notebook and jot down all the details about your having gotten permission.

And...NEVER show up with a firearm...!!

Comment

Hi...

PS...You may also want to ask owners if they have had any 'trouble' with beavers; are foxes getting to their poultry; are mink eating their fish, etc.

Comment

Like pathfinder and others says above. Also maybe see first if they need any rats or groundhogs removed this summer for the chance to trap this winter. Please and thank you go a long way. If they say no leave a card you fill out ahead of time with your contact # in case they ever want to trade work/pest control for trapping rights. If you get a yes having a high quality pelt you take from the land tanned, fur on might be a nice thank you in certain cases.

Comment

Thanks guys I'm 12 and my grandfather will call the landowner for me because both me and him are gonna be trapping but I'm gonna be the one setting traps but he's gonna be driving me walking the line with me etc.If the owner wants to meet in person then I will use all of your guys advice. Thank you very much guys.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad